SKS or AK47 which is for me?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS or AK47 which is for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default SKS or AK47 which is for me?

I know that they both fire the same round which is the 7.62×39mm and that one is an assault rifle while the other is semi automatic rifle that's about it. Before I buy one or the other I would like to know a bit more about them. I am planning on buying both but would like to know which to buy first. Things like pros and cons.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Please don't refer to it as an assault weapon. It's not. It's a semi automatic rifle. Same thing as the sks.

Anyway, what do you want to do more of?

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #3

Ah it's a semi automatic then knew it was just making sure because everyone says even though it's semi auto it's still an assault rifle, basically the pros and cons of them, maintenance that kind of stuff.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #4

Sks= slightly higher accuracy, few options in the high cap mag department, has good aftermarket parts but they are expensive (trulytactixalsks.com), heavy mofo, high end sks price is around low end Ak price

Ak47= decent to ok accuracy, lots of cheap mags lots of aftermarket options, slightly superior build quality, lighter than ak's, can be waaaay more expensive than a sks

Both reliable and have set the standard in 7.62x39 but its your choice man

Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #5

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

A lot depends on the kind if shooting you want to do most.

If you are more comfortable with a more traditional rifle then I'd go with the SKS and I'd leave the aftermarket crap off of it. Stock 10 round mags are the most reliable and handy that you are going to find.

If you want tactical with high capacity go for the AK. Fewer small parts. Simpler fire control group. Larger clearances internally.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #6

Yeah I'm going for the SKS then first I would have to say price being the main factor in it.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #7

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
Yeah I'm going for the SKS then first I would have to say price being the main factor in it.
Now that you have settled on an SKS are you wanting a Russian, Chinese or Yugoslavian variant?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #8

Differences in the variants? If there is any.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #9

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
Differences in the variants? If there is any.
Quality, availability, desirability and price. Many consider the Russian variant to be the best, followed by Yugo then Chinese (Norinco)...YMMV

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SKS - vast majority are machined recvrs, with threaded or pressed/pinned barrels. Chinese made a few with stamped steel recvrs and p/p barrels.
The Yugo SKS variants follow Zastavan tradition of non-chrome-lined barrels. No biggie as long as you are careful with cleaning after any possible corrosive ammo.

Vast majority of AKs (actually semi-auto AKMs) have stamped recvrs, p/p barrels. The semi-auto "AK-47s" out there would have the machined recvr and threaded or p/p barrels.

Unless you get a pre-89-ban "AK", it will most likely be a "kit" gun (assembled in USA with blend of original and USA parts - like Century's Polish, Bulgarian, or Yugo AKs), or, an imported gun modified-for-922 to reduce foreign parts count so that it can be made into the "AK" form factor (like the WASRs, M-10s, hi-cap Zastava PAPs, FIME SAIGAs, FEG AMDs).

Most common imported "AKs" nowadays are Romanian, Serbian (Zastava), or Russian SAIGAs and VEPRS. Again, Serbian "Zastava PAPs" do not have the chrome-lined barrel.
Chinese AKs havent been imported since the Klinton CHICOM ban.

Bottom line, many find the "rifle feel" and 20" sight radius of an SKS makes for a better shooter, while the "AK" is just plain wicked fun. Let your wallet be your guide.