Sks or ak47 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Sks or ak47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I've shot both and I love both, The sks is a good hunting gun because its standard with the 10 round mag and is not bad at all when it comes to accuracy but if your looking for a tactical style of weapon or a just a really handy brush gun the AK is pretty good.

Here in KY I can hunt with both the minimum mag limit is 10+1 so the AK and SKS are both in here. My brother in law uses a chinses SKS for deer season and he loves it I've shot plenty of targets with his and it's a nice shooter plus if you don't like the stock you can always get a timber smith stock for it and it gives it a better feel. The AK has more things that you can change on it and after market parts and what not also changing the mags it's a lot easier unless you get a model that can take the AK mags which are kinda hard to find.

I hunt with my wasr 10/63 I have a tapco folding stock on it because it adds length on onto the stock making it more comfortable for me to shoot. Plus theres a ton of railing options for a scope or red dot or you can just get a new sight that replaces the mil sights and adds a peep at the very end of the receiver.

Really the whole thing just comes down to how you hunt and what your preferences are I got the AK because I just like how it feels in the hands over the SKS. But don't get me wrong here both are fine weapons and will work it's just really a matter of preference.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 488 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

The SKS has been banned from import. I say get one of each. Have you seen the Siaga AK Tigr 308? There are about 30 variations but not for the US market.
Some Chinese SKS's have stamped trigger groups and pinned barrels. There are some Chinese AK's with milled receivers too.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #23

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

There's a reason you don't hear about bayonet charges very often these days. That reason is called a 30 round magazine.

A poorly manufactured rifle is just that. Between a poorly manufactured rifle and a quality rifle, I'll take the quality rifle every time. If that means a properly manufactured SKS, then that's what that means. If you have the money for a properly manufactured AK, then I would choose the AK over the SKS.
Must be nice, in which state can you hunt with a 30 round

mag? Because here, in the REAL world, hunting is generally limited

to a five round mag.

And yes, you CAN get a "NICE" AKM, but the meat and potatoes,

run-of-the-mill AK costs more than an SKS, and is still a

hastily assembled POS. You're right, of course, if you spend

3 to 5 times what you do for a milled SKS, you CAN get a

decent AKM. If you really apply yourself, you can even find

one with, or one which will mount, a bayonet...

At the end of the day, SKS-in the truck; AKM, on it's throne, in the safe.

Perhaps, some day, I'll be inclined to procure, and able to afford some

fancy AK custom variant, but for those of us who are financially

limited, this is an unfortunate, and sore truth.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Must be nice, in which state can you hunt with a 30 round

mag? Because here, in the REAL world, hunting is generally limited

to a five round mag.

And yes, you CAN get a "NICE" AKM, but the meat and potatoes,

run-of-the-mill AK costs more than an SKS, and is still a

hastily assembled POS. You're right, of course, if you spend

3 to 5 times what you do for a milled SKS, you CAN get a

decent AKM. If you really apply yourself, you can even find

one with, or one which will mount, a bayonet...

At the end of the day, SKS-in the truck; AKM, on it's throne, in the safe.

Perhaps, some day, I'll be inclined to procure, and able to afford some

fancy AK custom variant, but for those of us who are financially

limited, this is an unfortunate, and sore truth.
In Texas you can shoot a hog from a helicopter and use a suppressor. Like I said, they really don't care as long as you kill it. Laws were different in the past. Hunting game animals, like deer, is different. A hog is considered a nuisance, not a game animal.

Arsenal AK's are "Мясо и картофель" AK's.

Prior to the liberal induced firearms feeding frenzy, a milled receiver Arsenal AK, with the all important bayonet lug, could be purchased for about 1K. Somehow, a stamped receiver Arsenal AK costs more than the milled receiver. I'm not sure how it is that that's possible, but apparently Arsenal charges more for the stamped weapon.

A mint condition Chinese or Russian SKS is not cheap these days, but yeah it's still only 1/2 (Chinese) to 3/4 (Russian) of the price of a new Russian or Bulgarian AK. Naturally, well-used guns are cheaper.

I have nothing but good things to say about all the SKS variants I have used. It was and is a great rifle, but the design is just not modern technology. If you could own only one semi-automatic rifle or only had the means to buy one semi-automatic rifle, I'd save the money to purchase a quality AK. You can make do with a Mosin Nagant (another great, inexpensive rifle) until then.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #25

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

My last WASR had a milled receiver. No one liked it bercause they said the mag made noise. I still miss the thing. I have a M70 now and it's really nice...Stamped but nice. I kind of liked that ugly old WASR though. Got a SKS too. It's the M type that uses AK mags...even 30 rounders! I guess that makes it the bestest ever. Or crap I can't keep up with all you whippersnappers.

To the OPs question I's get the SKS. Still cheaper. It's reliable, and they are not letting new ones in. That means the price will keep going up. Man I wish I had bought those cases of them back in the day when I thought they where overpriced at 50 bucks a piece.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #26

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I have nothing but good things to say about all the SKS variants I have used. It was and is a great rifle, but the design is just not modern technology. If you could own only one semi-automatic rifle or only had the means to buy one semi-automatic rifle, I'd save the money to purchase a quality AK. You can make do with a Mosin Nagant (another great, inexpensive rifle) until then.
I guess we come from two different worlds.

I've got an M/N-M44 I would certainly not trade

for ANY AK in a pinch.

(BTW, the M44 is another great truck gun.)

I won't even entertain a "one only" semi- auto discussion,

but the Simonov is a scaled down version of the 14MM

PTRS41, a Soviet .57 caliber tank-buster. And the original

SKSs and AKs were both designed and built in the same

time frame, historically.

The major difference is the SKS's designer didn't have

the benefit of plagiarizing sturmgewehr technology.

But, hey, you like the AK better, more power to you.

Hopefully, more money to you, too, to feed your mags.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I guess we come from two different worlds.

I've got an M/N-M44 I would certainly not trade

for ANY AK in a pinch.

(BTW, the M44 is another great truck gun.)

I won't even entertain a "one only" semi- auto discussion,

but the Simonov is a scaled down version of the 14MM

PTRS41, a Soviet .57 caliber tank-buster. And the original

SKSs and AKs were both designed and built in the same

time frame, historically.

The major difference is the SKS's designer didn't have

the benefit of plagiarizing sturmgewehr technology.

But, hey, you like the AK better, more power to you.

Hopefully, more money to you, too, to feed your mags.
Therewolf, I would not trade a M44 for an AK, either. The M44 and AK are two different weapons that serve two different purposes. I would want a M44 and an AK-74 variant with 4 reliable magazines if funds were a problem.

The M44 will kill anything in North America on four legs.

The AK-74 is more economical to shoot and spare parts, magazines, and ammunition are readily available.

Both weapons are economical to own and operate. Both weapons are reliable and proven to function in adverse conditions.

It doesn't take too many cases of ammunition before any argument against not devoting proper funding to purchasing a reliable carbine of known quality is a specious argument.

With respect to Mikhail Kalashnikov stealing the StG-44 design, the internal mechanism for both weapons is entirely different. The AKM's superficial resemblance to the StG-44 has more to do with the similar design requirements than anything else.

Simonov's rifle was and is a reliable design type, as I previously stated. However, technological innovation and design requirements relegated it to ceremonial use and foreign sales as surplus.

Militaries use stampings and machined hammer forgings because they are the most economical means of mass manufacture of carbine receivers. Now that advanced polymer technology is available, you'll see more and more plastic receivers.

The Chinese really had a thing for the SKS and the Type 81 is what the SKS should have been, decades too late.

All modernized military forces issue automatic, 30 round detachable magazine-fed high-velocity .22 caliber carbines for general issue and .30 caliber bolt action and/or semi-automatic rifles for marksmen and snipers. Although militaries are known to procure hardware based upon tradition and the personal preferences of the individuals involved in the testing and procurement programs, it is rather curious that virtually all of them have settled on the same basic design characteristics.

As far as hunting is concerned, it's mostly personal preference.