sks or ak? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks or ak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sks because that's what I have. But I would prefer an ar-15.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like Ruger22lr I shot an AK in the military that was select fire. I prefer the SKS. I am more accurate and comfortable with an SKS than with an AK.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

The both suck...next question!

LOl, I kid cause i love

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #24
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 917 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Dollar value, spells out the quality to a degree, not counting the blender we are in now.

Get what you can afford, or get what you can find.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUSA556 View Post
Sks because that's what I have. But I would prefer an ar-15.
I have both. Took them both to the range. Shooting heavy-duty plastic chemical bottles at 50 yards. The AR would knock them over. The SKS would send them 30 feet into the air. There is no debate to be had concerning the destructive power between the two rifles. The SKS is a destroyer.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 917 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzmodicus View Post

I have both. Took them both to the range. Shooting heavy-duty plastic chemical bottles at 50 yards. The AR would knock them over. The SKS would send them 30 feet into the air. There is no debate to be had concerning the destructive power between the two rifles. The SKS is a destroyer.
Shooting the same ammo?

I was a gun dealer in the good ole days before 911. I looked at the AK as the better gun, maybe because of the detachable mag.

A few AKs came in with milled receivers and sold quickly.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #27

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Btw y'all I went with an AK. Saiga IZ 240. I'm halfway done converting it

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #28

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzmodicus View Post
AR or AK? If talking AR then why did the Soviet Union switch from the 7.62x39 to a knockoff of our 5.56x45, which is a very effective military round. Destructive power, whatever you mean by that ... actually effectiveness, isn't determined by lining up plastic bottles.

In fact everything you said is open to debate.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-01-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

+1 Quentin.

One of the things is, simply, the size of the round and powder behind it. Look at the physics size of the 7.62, it has a larger mass therefore the result is correct. You would get the same results with a 9mm and 45 ACP... Im not saying either rifle cartridge is bad. They are both exellent for what they were designed for.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

AR or AK? If talking AR then why did the Soviet Union switch from the 7.62x39 to a knockoff of our 5.56x45, which is a very effective military round. Destructive power, whatever you mean by that ... actually effectiveness, isn't determined by lining up plastic bottles.

Um, because they like carrying more rounds per kilo of weight just like anybody else that would choose 5.56/223 over 7.62/30 caliber.

The 5.56 quickly loses it's power to punch through vegetation, body armour, walls and even "distance" compared to the 7.62. And we're talking practicality here, not shooting matches or ballistics test into gelatin at 30 yards. The 5.56 might exhibit better cavitation properties into the gelatin but lets throw some foilage, thick clothes or body armour, maybe some khat and light cover in there. You'd drop the AR in a hurry and pick up the nearest AK as did some of our guys in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If the 5.56 is so great and all-sufficient, how come our own military elite are switching to the M-14/M1A in droves if and when given the choice? It's comparing apples and oranges in a sense with respect to the x39, x51, I understand, but the simple answer to your question is this: the 5.56 has it's place, purpose, advantages in specific areas. It is not by any means the end-all super-round that you would like to portray it as.

In handguns, the. 45acp has much more foot pounds of power than say the 9mm, but I carry a 9mm because I can carry twice the amount of ammo. That doesn't make the 9mm round a superior round. Spraying and praying is often the norm in handgun encounters and 9mm makes more sense in that situation.

Anybody that would argue the superiority of the 5.56 over the 7.62 when it comes to brute-force power obviously has an unrealisic and narrow perspective. And the example I gave with the plastic bottles exhibited my points perfectly.

The 5.56 works great on soft-tissue at close distances. In fact the "underpoweredness" of the round can be considered an attibute in urban combat where penetration isn't necessarily desirable. But when it comes to rifles, I would rather send the most power downrange and through obstscles, not spray and pray with lighter projectiles that rapidly loose their kinetic energy when they hit just about anything other than soft tissue. And for me, the 7.62x39 does just that.