Sks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2849 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Most of the Chinese versions you find in the US are Norinco's. These are not Mil Surp rifles, they were purpose built for export, primarily to the US/Canada. There were two variants built, called the "D" and "M" models that took AK mags from the get go. These are scarce and bring a premium.

The Norinco's sold new for about $100 back in the early 90's. They bring $250 - $350 in good condition now. They have chrome lined bores and gas pistons so they have few issues with corrosion.

The Russian version (almost all had a blade bayonet) are considered some of the best. They are Mil Surp, but generally in pretty good condition. They sell for $400-$600 when you can find them.

The Yugo's are true Mil Surp guns. Most have been used and used hard. They do not have chromed bores or pistons and MANY have issues because of it. There are some aftermarket parts available to spruce them up. They look cool with the muzzle brake/grenade launcher device. Some have personalized carvings done by the soldiers that used them. They sell for $300 - $500 depending on the condition.

You can add all sorts of do dads to the SKS. IMHO most of the add ons are just bling. The rifle is an accurate reliable little carbine as is.

I have done some modifications to my Norinco including a ventillated handguard, high visibility front sight, high capacity magazine (free) and folding stock (free). I would not have changed the stock out except the price was right and it added some much needed length of pull for my rather large frame.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofitg

Never had any reliability issues with Russian or Chinese SKS's.

Owned two Yugos, had problems with both of them. That gas valve coupled to the grenade-launching sight seems to be a weak point.
Other people tell me they never had any problem with their Yugos, so maybe I'm just a magnet for "lemons".
What is the price difference on the yugos
, the Chinese , and Russian ?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

I had been considering finding a 20-round mag for my SKS, till all my

searches came back "jam,jam,jam"

I like my Russian, all original, no grenade launcher, a full-length

one piece gas rod, dependable as any AK out there.(and more

accurate...) Plus a really nice finished stock. Better balance and weight

than my AK, too.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I had been considering finding a 20-round mag for my SKS, till all my

searches came back "jam,jam,jam"
I keep seeing the same thing about the fixed position 20 rounders that i currently lust after. Of course, the tapco removable 20 rounders i usually use keep me 922 compliant, American made parts count-wise (not applicable to all SKS's).

If anybody runs across a reliable metal, fixed 20 rounder, post up the source please.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #15

I bought a chinese SKS last weekend at a gun auction for $225. Its missing the bayonet and cleaning rod, but it shoots like a beast!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #16

I just bought my 1st SKS...A Yugo SKS M59/66A with the NATO Grenade Launcher, i think it was mfg in 1970 according to the original s/n, it's MIL-Surp from J&G in Prescott...spent $303 out the door with 20 stripper clips. I spent probably the past 2-3 weeks researching SKS's and oh boy there's a lot of stuff out there....so for what it's worth:

Buy Russian or Yugoslav if poss (mostly machined parts not stamped)
Clean, Clean, Clean and CLEAN!. I boiled mine in a strong solution of murphy's soap on my turkey fryer before solvent cleaning.
Try and be satisfied with 10 rounds....it just seems there are so many identical issues with cycling/feeding when you modify the mag from orig.
From all the parts available i'm thinking about only changing the muzzle to a more functional one and adding a better buttpad...maybe a scope for looks...maybe.....
All in all this battle carbine seems to work best when left alone as much as possible.....for the price i may buy a second one to play with..but for now it isn't broke, doesn't need fixin' and is shooting beautifully......

Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
Nun

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you are near a Cabelas they have a Yugo on sale $279.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

The Cabelas ad just listed a Yugo for sale at 199.99... If you visit their website there is a $20.00 coupon you can have emailed to you. Thats 180 bucks for a yugo sks. Not my cup of tea but certainly affordable. I personally love the Norincos. I know the barrel and chamber are chrome lined along with the gas tube and this cuts down substantially on the risk of corrosion and they cost a lot less than a Rusky (which I would also love to have). I recently began practicing with stripper clips and I feel confident that based on the reliability issues of the large aftermarket mags I could go through 100 rounds as fast as someone using a 30 round detachable (not AK variety)...

Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownspitbull View Post
I bought a chinese SKS last weekend at a gun auction for $225. Its missing the bayonet and cleaning rod, but it shoots like a beast!
Congrats new SKS owner!
If your SKS doesn't take mags you can always find a 20 round Chinese box mag (with the big star on it) it will drop right in & then you can load it with two stripper clips at a time.
Happy Shooting!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
Congrats new SKS owner!
If your SKS doesn't take mags you can always find a 20 round Chinese box mag (with the big star on it) it will drop right in & then you can load it with two stripper clips at a time.
Happy Shooting!
Have you seen these lately; i have been considering one. I hear mixed reviews, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.