Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Sks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-48380/)

SmithKid308 09-17-2011 02:45 AM

Sks

Need some tips , pointers , and feedback on buying an sks for my SHTF gun and what would be a good price to spend on this rifle since I'm probably going to change the stock, and do all Sks come with a fixed mag ? Or do some come with a removable mag(s) and any general rules of thumb also
Thanks Smith

c3shooter 09-17-2011 03:42 AM

With the exception of a fairly scarce Vietnamese variant, the SKS was DESIGNED to use a fixed magazine, which functions pretty flawlessly. They are frequently replaced by new owners, who wil then spend the rest of their free time cursing and asking why their removeable mag does not feed well. PS- I can recharge a fixed mag REALLY fast with a stripper clip.

SmithKid308 09-17-2011 03:59 AM

So what would be a good price for a Sks

towboater 09-17-2011 05:32 AM

I saw a couple Chinese SKS's at my local shop today. Tag said $250

c3shooter 09-17-2011 12:22 PM

A good price for an SKS is sorta like a good price for a car- depends on make and condition. Russian, Chinese, Viet, Yugo? Orginal or Extra Crispy (sorry, meant sporterized). The Yugos are probably the cheapest ones out there- $250 for Chinese COULD be a good price depending on their condition. I did not buy mine, have had since the 1960s. :rolleyes:

You might want to visit auctionarms and gunbroker, search for COMPLETED auction, see what the prices are like on different guns. Remember THOSE prices did not include shipping or FFL fees.

SmithKid308 09-17-2011 04:39 PM

Why does the removable mag not feed well? And what is your opinion on the best Sks SHTF set up

c3shooter 09-17-2011 04:56 PM

Because the rifle was not designed to use those. CAN they feed properly? Yep. Usually do not fit (or hold the fit) in some dimension. For reliability, find a chromed bore original configuration. Preceding is PURELY opinion, others will have others.

SmithKid308 09-17-2011 05:02 PM

Does the Sks have the reliability of the Ak? If it does not is there any way to help the reliability of the Sks

Overkill0084 09-17-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmithKid308 (Post 581730)
Does the Sks have the reliability of the Ak? If it does not is there any way to help the reliability of the Sks

I haven't put a gazillion rounds through mine, maybe a couple thousand. I don't believe it's ever malfunctioned in any way, however. Even with the cheapest crap ammo I could find. They may not be quite as idiot proof as the AK, but they are certainly reliable.
Note: I haven't monkeyed with the magazine either.

ofitg 09-17-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmithKid308 (Post 581730)

Never had any reliability issues with Russian or Chinese SKS's.

Owned two Yugos, had problems with both of them. That gas valve coupled to the grenade-launching sight seems to be a weak point.
Other people tell me they never had any problem with their Yugos, so maybe I'm just a magnet for "lemons".