Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 - Why anyone would need more than 10 rds. is beyond me! It's not like you have a FA weapon and are under attack by marrauding zombies....
I agree with you.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 - Why anyone would need more than 10 rds. is beyond me! It's not like you have a FA weapon and are under attack by marrauding zombies....
Just to play both sides of the argument, it WAS nice to take the rpk to the range and shoot through 75 rounds without having to change drums/clips...

But, I'm glad you both agree with me on the ten rounder and stripper clips. Unless shooting a FA weapon, ten rounds is a nice number to have in the rifle. Large enough number to hit several targets before running out, but small enough to mentally keep track of your number of rounds shot/remaining.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Chinese SKS M and D's are the only SKS rifles designed to use Hi Cap magazines along with some of the Chinese rifles that came with the fixed 20 Rd magazines. Other than that using anything other than the standard 10 Rd. mag and a pocket full of stripper clips is pretty much a crap shoot.

Tapco makes a nice 20 Rd. duck bill detachable mag it pretty much reliable about 99% of the time,but you get your good and bad ones with those also and unless you have done the bolt modification you have to have the bolt open to insert and remove the mag,plus if your going to use it with the original wooden stock you may be required to do a little sanding in the mag well to get a good fit. Changing out the mag also get you in the the 10 or less parts game of the 922 laws.

That may be a thing of the past by October when Tapco releases it new SKS bolt. It has the spring loaded firing pin and the easy mag drop built in like the Chinese M & D's not sure about the price yet.