Side rail mounts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Side rail mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Side rail mounts

I got a Saiga(I know it's not a SKS or AK but close enough) and put a Tapco stock with pistol grip on it. DON'T ever ruin your Saiga by doing this! I also got a side mount for a scope. Well after much debate lol , I tried to mount the scope but the mount sits the scope so high that I couldn't bore sight it nor get any cheek weld much less a good one. The darn thing sits a good 4 inches off the top of the gun. Anybody know what to do, besides put it in the classifieds.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #2

So does nobody have the same problems with their SKS or AK? Or is it, no one knows what I should do to fix it?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

Is what is being discussed at http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3512 the same as what you are asking about or are you asking about a different type of side mount?

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #4

No that kobra mount seems alot nicer and lower to the top of the AK than mine. I'll post a pic soon. You literally have to put the end of the stock on your chest to look though the scope.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Actually, yes, I had the same problem with my SKS. I took it to a local gun shop to have them boresight it and save my the rounds, but he said he couldn't do it because the scope sat too high. I couldn't do anything about it so I just use iron sights, rest asurred your not the only one with this problem.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a wasr 10 with a side mount. Mine sits high but i can zero it at 25yds. with the cheek weld I heave a dragonov style stock. I made an inprovized cheek rest with a shirt and some rope. The rope goes in beteen the gaps of the dragonov stock. I can put a picture when I find my camra.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I solved my cheek weld problem with that UTG mount by buying a $20 stock converter and an adjustable cheek rest AR-15 style stock from ATI for my AK. It works perfectly and doesnt look half bad either.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I believe those Kalinka people have what they call a "molot" mount (maybe a brand, IDK) that will lower your scope when used with many of the side rail setups on AK's & those adapted to SKS's.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-accessories/side-rails/molot-sks-original-rail-with-rivets.html This is the rail part. It attaches at the top & the rail/attachment point is lower.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-23-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You cannot go wrong with a Quick Detach from Midway. I love mine and zero is closely maintained throughout detach/re-attach.

GET ONE!