Scoping and SKS

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Scoping and SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scoping and SKS

If there is an existing thread for this I couldn't find it so help me out, folks.
I have tried long ago to scope my SKS's but the receiver covers never fit tight enough to allow me to really zero a scope. Is there a reliable way to scope an SKS? Please tell me which cover with base attached works for you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Ive gone though the same thing. All the receiver covers ive tried are crap.. The only thing that worked for me was to put a POSP scope with a side mount.
It will require you to drill and tap the side of the rifle though...

Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you tried the hand guard mounted rails?

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

I took it to the range yesterday. My first 5 rounds with my 123 grain PSP's and 3031 powder at 50 yrds with no scope were dead on. 1st shot dead center on the X in the 10ring and 4 more made 1 jagged hole a half inch below the first shot. I then shot 40 rounds of 2 different surplus loads which made 1 big ugly 3" hole about 2 inches low and 2" left of bullseye. That is better than the groups I got before with a scope mounted on a wobbly receiver cover. Guess I don't need glass. I will try at 100 yds next trip but my weary eyes start to struggle at that range if I don't have about a 3" bullseye.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I took it to the range yesterday. My first 5 rounds with my 123 grain PSP's and 3031 powder at 50 yrds with no scope were dead on. 1st shot dead center on the X in the 10ring and 4 more made 1 jagged hole a half inch below the first shot. I then shot 40 rounds of 2 different surplus loads which made 1 big ugly 3" hole about 2 inches low and 2" left of bullseye. That is better than the groups I got before with a scope mounted on a wobbly receiver cover. Guess I don't need glass. I will try at 100 yds next trip but my weary eyes start to struggle at that range if I don't have about a 3" bullseye.
See.. looks like you got it figured out...
I dont use a scope on my SKS, I figure its never gonna be a tack driver anyways...
The one I scoped did get me a 1903 though...

Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

I have one SKS that has a rear housing (bolt cover) mounted scope- that works. THAT cover had to be hand filed to fit, and is tighter than a banker's pocketbook. No wiggle, at all- but most DO.

For most, either D&T for a side mount, or replace the rear sight with a long eye relief scope in a Scout mount.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
I have one SKS that has a rear housing (bolt cover) mounted scope- that works. THAT cover had to be hand filed to fit, and is tighter than a banker's pocketbook. No wiggle, at all- but most.
this is how my scope is mounted. Accessories rail riveted to the dust cover. I never seem to have any issues.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"