Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Scoping and SKS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/scoping-sks-61181/)

v-man 03-27-2012 01:01 AM

Scoping and SKS

If there is an existing thread for this I couldn't find it so help me out, folks.
I have tried long ago to scope my SKS's but the receiver covers never fit tight enough to allow me to really zero a scope. Is there a reliable way to scope an SKS? Please tell me which cover with base attached works for you.

Trez 03-27-2012 04:28 PM

Ive gone though the same thing. All the receiver covers ive tried are crap.. The only thing that worked for me was to put a POSP scope with a side mount.
It will require you to drill and tap the side of the rifle though...

UrbanNinja 03-27-2012 04:32 PM

Have you tried the hand guard mounted rails?

v-man 03-31-2012 03:16 PM

I took it to the range yesterday. My first 5 rounds with my 123 grain PSP's and 3031 powder at 50 yrds with no scope were dead on. 1st shot dead center on the X in the 10ring and 4 more made 1 jagged hole a half inch below the first shot. I then shot 40 rounds of 2 different surplus loads which made 1 big ugly 3" hole about 2 inches low and 2" left of bullseye. That is better than the groups I got before with a scope mounted on a wobbly receiver cover. Guess I don't need glass. I will try at 100 yds next trip but my weary eyes start to struggle at that range if I don't have about a 3" bullseye.

Trez 03-31-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 757581)
I took it to the range yesterday. My first 5 rounds with my 123 grain PSP's and 3031 powder at 50 yrds with no scope were dead on. 1st shot dead center on the X in the 10ring and 4 more made 1 jagged hole a half inch below the first shot. I then shot 40 rounds of 2 different surplus loads which made 1 big ugly 3" hole about 2 inches low and 2" left of bullseye. That is better than the groups I got before with a scope mounted on a wobbly receiver cover. Guess I don't need glass. I will try at 100 yds next trip but my weary eyes start to struggle at that range if I don't have about a 3" bullseye.

See.. looks like you got it figured out...
I dont use a scope on my SKS, I figure its never gonna be a tack driver anyways...
The one I scoped did get me a 1903 though... :p

c3shooter 03-31-2012 06:51 PM

I have one SKS that has a rear housing (bolt cover) mounted scope- that works. THAT cover had to be hand filed to fit, and is tighter than a banker's pocketbook. No wiggle, at all- but most DO.

For most, either D&T for a side mount, or replace the rear sight with a long eye relief scope in a Scout mount.

UrbanNinja 03-31-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
I have one SKS that has a rear housing (bolt cover) mounted scope- that works. THAT cover had to be hand filed to fit, and is tighter than a banker's pocketbook. No wiggle, at all- but most.

this is how my scope is mounted. Accessories rail riveted to the dust cover. I never seem to have any issues.