Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Scopes on AKs....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scopes on AKs....

ive seen quite a few pictures on here of people with some pretty big scopes on their AKs. what kind of accuracy are you looking at? ive never known AKs to be too accurate but then again i dont have a whole lot of experience with them

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #2

Default Scoped AK

I scoped my AK because I've got old eyes and I shoot better with optics. My AK-74 has a 4x16 and holds to about 3 inches at 100 yards.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

My Dad scoped his for the same reason. . . although I've scoped one of my primary AKs and had great results past 200-300 yards. Can't give you a group size, but the gongs went "thump" about 10-15% more often.

However, I have not tested the scope (1-4x) against my new sight set up. A rear peep narrow ball point front combo. It WORKS! Finally found the answer to the AK-47 sight issue, I believe it can almost eliminate the human factor after the shooter becomes proficient with the firearm. Eventually all my traditionals will wear those and the customs probably dots. (same cost.)

Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #4

Default Not a scope, per se, but...

I have two WASR 10/63s, and both wear EOTECH 517s. Effective, and it roughly follows my rule of optics approximate weapon in price... When your life is on the line, don't go cheap...

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockcurmudgeon View Post
I have two WASR 10/63s, and both wear EOTECH 517s. Effective, and it roughly follows my rule of optics approximate weapon in price... When your life is on the line, don't go cheap...
yea completely understandable, i have a red dot sight on my wasr as well. i was more talkin about scopes with magnification. and if i could afford it i would have an eotech. i use one at work and personally i like it more than an acog or elcan. especially with a 3x magnifier on it. eotechs are surprisingly tough, great optics.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt1 View Post
ive seen quite a few pictures on here of people with some pretty big scopes on their AKs.
Are you talking about something like this?

I had this scope on my WASR 10 for a while, it got too easy to hit the gongs on the 300yd range & if it is too easy it's not real fun.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
Are you talking about something like this?

I had this scope on my WASR 10 for a while, it got too easy to hit the gongs on the 300yd range & if it is too easy it's not real fun.
haha exactly what im talkin about. i wish i could set out metal gongs at the range i go to but its on base and they are pretty restrictive. we can only shoot paper or card board targets.