SAR 1 (Romtehnica) opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SAR 1 (Romtehnica) opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default SAR 1 (Romtehnica) opinions

Hi all,
I have limited experience with firearms (see http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/hi-all-54857/). I would like to have a rifle both for range shooting and home defense (much less likely usage here but you just never know).
Over here (italy) we have access to original foreign arms (semi-auto only of course). My initial orientation was towards a 7.63x39 saiga (izhmash) @880$ but recently i found an intriguing offer for a Romtehnica SAR 1 with all accessories as in pic (excluding optics) @1000$.
Now I know these are crazy prices for you US guys but that's how the ball rolls over here smaller market i guess.
I don't mind spending a little more for a better weapon, i don't plan to have more than one rifle, so that one had better be good.
The question is: how good are SARs? I read some favourable comments but how do they compare to Saigas? (reliability and accuracy wise)
And before you ask "why not an AR?" i'll tell you here they are even more ridiculously overpriced and are allowed mags of 5 rounds max only (10 for AKs).

Kind regards

Last edited by _winer_; 01-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SAR1 is a good rifle, basically an export version of the Romy G. Can't answer as to "added value" to the price of the gun as the extra addons in the picture may be more of value to you than to others.

Also - I would not want to go before a jury having defended my home with a semi-auto AKM. Revolver, yes - AK - NO WAY.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

Hi, thank you for the input. Am not familiar with the Romy G though. But yes, most comments I read on the Sar 1 were favourable. There are some on sale at ok prices over here every now and then.
At this point am still uncertain. The closest range admits rifles in 22 only (which don't sound bad at all to me ) have to check better what others offer (but means longer travel times).

Kind regards

Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #4

The "Romy G" are the semi-auto-only AKMs - identified by a red G on the side of the trunnion - that the paranoid Romanian regime issued to Romanian "national guard" units, while the military units got the real AKMs.

Caucescue didn't want his interior police to be as capable as his military...

Romy Gs have been cut-up, parted-out and exported to the USA by the train-loads for AK builds over here using USA-made semi-auto receivers and USA-made barrels.

In your position, with .22LR being the easier arm to enjoy, look for the SIG522 .22LR semi-auto rifle. This is absolutely THE BEST, most reliable .22LR military-lookalike semi-auto on the planet Earth.

If you still want an AK in .22LR, supposedly SAIGA makes a .22LR AKM, and I know for a fact that Romania made their "AKT98" which later became the WASR22 as .22LR AKMs. Like anything from Romania, these are a little rough around the edges, but can be made to run very reliably and these are TRUE AKMs.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #5

Hi,
any Sig rifle makes me drool
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the 522 has been imported in italy yet. We do have 550 - 551 - 553, not sure on 552. All limited to 5 rounds mags.

The good thing is that the Swiss border is not that far from my home, I could always go hiking in the Alps and come back with chocolate and a new toy (honestly judge, i was just kidding!)

Right now am getting more oriented on getting an entry level .22 bolt rifle and then move on.
Will keep my eyes open on AKs though, next best thing after a Sig

Kind regards

Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #6

Can you get these Beretta ARX .22's?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
Can you get these Beretta ARX .22's?
As far as I know, no. Not yet available to civilian market. Rules of admission have changed lately so am not sure when (if?) it will be available and if it will have the 5 rounds mag limits too.
Looks like Beretta has cooked a pretty hot cake with this ARX 160...

As I am a left handed / left eye dominant shooter I appreciate when the designers consider us 'lefties' too.

Kind regards