Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga MK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Saiga MK

This is the Saiga MK. As am seriously considering to buy one so i went to a gun shop to take a closer look. I was really shocked by how light the thing is!
I have handled AKs before and this feels nothing like them. Even lighter than an AR15 in same legth. The receiver seemed alluminum... is that possible?
Couldn't get much info from the clerk regarding materials used. Would like to know more from other Saiga owners.
Please note, we get the guns exactly as they come out of the Izhmash factory, no 922 regulation. Do they change the barrels to import them in US? I'd like to know more about the barrel too.

Thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stamped AKMs just aren't that heavy.

Compare that to a WASR or a Polish AKM - not much of a diff. Then compare to a stamped PolyTech, Yugo, VALMET - big diff due to thicker recvrs.

That's why shooting an SKS is so much more rifle-like compared to an AK.

In a victim nation, a classroom full of dead children is morally superior to a teacher holding a smoking gun knowing she just protected her students.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

Thank you. Apparently a weight around 7.2 lbs is expected for this kind of rifle. This one may be a tad lighter due to the stock.
I hope I can get one soon

Kind regards

Old 07-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Hope you can get one too. I left my 16" 7.62x39 in the as-imported unconverted "sporty" config as I like the short rifle-style handling - kinda like what an SKS could have become. Accurate as can be.

Where in the EU are you that allows semi-auto "AK" style rifles?

In a victim nation, a classroom full of dead children is morally superior to a teacher holding a smoking gun knowing she just protected her students.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
Hope you can get one too. I left my 16" 7.62x39 in the as-imported unconverted "sporty" config as I like the short rifle-style handling - kinda like what an SKS could have become. Accurate as can be.

Where in the EU are you that allows semi-auto "AK" style rifles?
How much does yours weight?

Am from Italy. We have some pretty strange / confused gun laws but not as strict as UK for instance. Sometimes they even make sense
AKs are sold in the 'hunting' category (and actually used for boars which have become quite a problem due to overpopulation), so they may have an evil look for the general public but the law sees them not differently than a normal semiauto hunting rifle.

Till a couple of years ago there was a 10 rounds limit for such guns. Now it has been lifted and we can use up to '29' rounds mags. At least for the moment. For use at the range I find the 10 rounds mags to be plenty and more handy. Still, it's nice to have some 29ers, just in case..

Kind regards

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

My basic, unconverted, unloaded, 16" 7.62x39 rifle weighs a bit over 7Lbs. Probably light weight due to the hollow plastic stock. I have a couple other AKMs - Polish and Romanian WASR for example that are a bit heavier.

_winer_ Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #7

Hi!
A little update. I have bought the Saiga and will post some pictures. Just added the Ultimak rail, Bushnell TRS25 red dot, Fab Defense lower handguard, grip and pistol grip.
Obviously is more front heavy than in it's original configuration. The CG is where the lower handguard starts.

The stock can't be folded and was welded in the open position.

I like the KISS approach of the AK. All that isn't absolutely necessary has been stripped away

No bullet guide yet. On this Saiga the bullet guide needs to be flat.

I have shot about 200 rounds with it. This was the best I managed to do

The holes on the left and bottom were done while sighting in the red dot.
Shot @50 meters, rested on sandbag. The shooter obviously needs practice but am happy with it. The red dot works really well in this configuration and I still have cowitness.

No failures at all yet. It does dent the case badly on ejection though.

The trigger is crisp enough but would like to lighten it a bit (will wait till i have done some more shooting). I don't like the reset as it brings the trigger basically in the same position as on complete release of the trigger.

Regarding the magazines. Here is a comparison. The Saiga is on your left, a classic metal AK mag is on the right.

You can cleary notice the taller front of the Saiga mag and its smaller catch holder on the rear.

All in all am very pleased by this Saiga and by how it shoots, way better than me! It feels good when braced and seems very solidly built.

Let me know if you have questions. Bye!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Looks like lots of fun.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.