Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga IZ AK-47...any reviews or opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saiga IZ AK-47...any reviews or opinions?

Thinking about buying one and need honest, intelligent reviews first.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

Converted my saiga myself,love it. Brand new AK style rifle,no parts kits or any of that mess. Fit is tighter than a wasr,but its still an AK. plus its a hoot to shoot. Don't know what else to say about it. I could probably answer most questions you have about it. The only thing I don't particularly care for is the narrow front sight post and the small space to acquire it through the rear sight leaf,I suppose it affords for a little more accurate shooting but I prefer the fat front sight post and big gap in the rear sights that are on my dads wasr.

Other than that the rifle has been great,no problems at all besides some misfeeds due to a bad magazine. What things exactly are you curious about?

Last edited by Jstrong; 02-09-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ask-me-anything-you-need-know-about-saiga-rifles-48100/

Might be some info in there for you.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #4

Just generally looking to see if it stood up next to other aks, basically, before i decide to buy one. Thank you for the info.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams430
Just generally looking to see if it stood up next to other aks, basically, before i decide to buy one. Thank you for the info.
Well they're brand new rifles made in the same factory the Russian military has been getting their AK variants ever since the AK came to be. A properly converted saiga will be the closest anybody in the U.S. will get to having a new Russian AK.

Ever heard of Arsenal Inc. or KREBS customs AK's? ... well they all start life as Saiga rifles. A converted saiga will eat wasr's for breakfast especially when u factor in that you can buy and convert a saiga for only a few bucks more than you can get a century wasr for. Among the standard AK variants you usually see (wasr's,yugo's,parts guns,etc) I would put a saiga on top of all of those. Arsenals,Krebs,veprs,and maybe Polish tantal's may be a bit more desirable,but the first two are Saiga rifles that have been professionally converted or have had custom attention. Veprs are pretty much another Russian factories version of the saiga,haven't read up much on these though. And Polish tantal's are a very well built AK variant and are pretty hard to come by now a days.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

I recently purchased a converted Saiga from Classic Arms. I had looked at several WASR's but had heard some of the bad stuff about them and was a little hesitant about getting one. I'm very happy with my Saiga. I have not been to the range yet with it but the quality is very good. My converted Saiga has a Russian dimpled Receiver, Russian barrel, Tapco stock, Tapco G2 trigger (with a light and smooth pull), and a welded bullet guide to accept AK magazines. It still has the sporter style front hand guard but the standard AK style hand guard can be added by swapping out the gas tube and adding a barrel hand guard retainer. I paid $479 for mine which is less than what the WASR's are selling for locally.