Saiga Conversion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default Saiga Conversion

Just received my Saiga rifle and want to start process of ordering parts to convert it to an AK-47 like rifle. Looking for parts preferences. Carolina Shooting supplies offers kits that have:

- round or angled trigger guards.
- various types of grips
- NATO vs Warsaw stocks (does the conversion require a new stock anyway. Can I keep the OEM Saiga stock? Pros/Cons of the nato vs warsaw vs what came on the rifle?

Any preferences or input is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just bought a hogue grip for my AK, I highly recommend them. I'm also please with my Tapco single hook trigger, I think it cleaned the pull up on the trigger nicely. The Warsaw stock is shorter than the Nato. I read about this before I purchased my Ak and was actually kinda surprised at how short it really was ( never really been around AKs and this was my first ). I'm a bigger guy, 6'2" 275lbs and think that If i could choose again I'd go with the NATO. I wanted to keep the Ak as virgin as possible but if I was doing a tactical style I'd definitely get a telescoping stock similar to the AR. Midwest Industries has nicely reviewed rail systems for te AK if you wanna go that route. If you want to keep the AK look I'd check out Ironwood designs and Combloc customs. I'm new meat in the AK world but hope the info helps, as always, YouTube is a great resource. Good luck in your build, keep me updated I'd like to follow your project and live vicariously through you

Old 04-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been interested in an ak after hearing about rifle dynamics and seeing their work....what does the saiga conversion process take? Would I be able to do it on my own or do I need a machine shop?

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 View Post
I've been interested in an ak after hearing about rifle dynamics and seeing their work....what does the saiga conversion process take? Would I be able to do it on my own or do I need a machine shop?

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams
I am a noob at this so I leaned on the videos at Carolina Shooting Supply and a friend who is a gunsmith. I just have the parts ordered at this stage so I havent gotten into the nitty gritty yet.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #5

Also check out Saiga12 forums, it not just for shotguns.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

Tore down the Saiga - removed stock, removed rivets holding trigger/trigger guard, etc. Having it duracoated tonight. Will put it all back together on Tuesday. I still need to order the rail and red dot. Will probably get a Primary Arms red dot (they have worked well on the AR). Cant wait to get it to the range.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

I like the SAW hand grip on my AKs

Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #8

Could someone post a picture of the rivets that need to be removed and were the new ones need to go? Also the conversions only let's you use a standard AK mag?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRecon1
Could someone post a picture of the rivets that need to be removed and were the new ones need to go? Also the conversions only let's you use a standard AK mag?
Google it or check Youtube.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #10

To use a standard AK mag a bullet guide must be installed.
Carolina Shooters has some excellent videos linked on their website.
And they sell many conversion parts.