Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga AK and standard AK magazines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have some ak mags for selling.
Any interest please contact me.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default AK Saiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _winer_ View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to buy a Saiga MK in the next months

ain't it nice?

It's a Saiga which means:
+ pretty good quality for an AK (we get the original gun as comes out from Izhmash)
- it doesn't take original AK magazines
- Saiga magazine are outrageously expensive here (around 75-100 USD each)

My question is: do you have to work on your Saigas imported in the US in order to make them compatible with standard AK mags?
If so I would be more confident in my choice as am not at all experienced in gunsmithing. At least I know where i can ask for help...

I'd like to get some Tapco 20 rounds polymer mags. They are not easy to find but worth the effort from what i read.
We are not allowed 30 rounds mags as of now by the way..

Thank you for your suggestions!
Hm....Wouldn you buy another AK instead of a saiga? Saigas are basically hunter rifles and as you know, they're have been slightly modified.

What are you looking for, exactly? I know the AK platform very well, and I would be glad to give you some pieces of advice.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Hm....Wouldn you buy another AK instead of a saiga? Saigas are basically hunter rifles and as you know, they're have been slightly modified.

What are you looking for, exactly? I know the AK platform very well, and I would be glad to give you some pieces of advice.
Hi! Well, there are some reasons why I would prefer a Saiga, of course there are cons too. That is as far as i got them by searching and reading, have no direct experience (except for some handling of AKs when i was in the army, no shooting, sadly)
Pro:
+ quality is rather good considering the average of the AK platform, so less likely to run into problems my inexperience may not immediately see at purchase time
+ slightly better accuracy on average (better barrell). I don't know by how much though
+ we got them 'as out of the oven' from Izhmash, no modifications into an hunting rifle for import
+ ex-ordnance AKs over here tend to cost just a little less and they are usually rather old (usually '70s - '80s made from ex-arsenals in eastern Europe). Given my limited experience I'd rather stick with a new product.
+ side sight mount just in case i decided to go that way
+ given current directions (not law, everything is quite confused right now) ex-military weapons have a 5 round limit. Other firearms which shoot military calibers have a 29 rounds limit.... I don't mean to start a war on anyone but 5 rounds just ain't fun to shoot at the range
Still, laws will arrive to define things better (it may take years) but firearms born for the civilian market are less likely to be as restricted as ex-military ones.

Cons:
- they don't feed from standard AK mags (unless modified)
- they cost a bit more (it's ok, I don't mean to buy a new rifle each year)

Basically am looking for a reliable, easy to maintain, cheap to shoot (well, in comparison at least), 7,62x39 (or .223) fun rifle. I don't intend to enter competition target shooting, I just want to compete with myself, trying to improve focus and control. SKS may be an alternative but i prefer the AK handling better.
.223 was not appealing to me before due to rounds limitation to 5. With the new regulations is the same, 29 rounds. But on average .223 rifles are much more expensive. For instance, I love the Sig PE 90 (civilian conversion of the 550) but they cost more than 1300USD than an AK. I'd rather spend that money on ammo and training

Please feel free to share your thoughts, as said am inexperienced and would like to learn

Kind regards

Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

SGL is based off the saiga but is imported ready to be converted to ak (magwell dimples, large magwell, no saiga receiver holes, holes ready for ak config....go with an SGL I've owned and or own 2 and it is quality. Arsenal no longer converts them there sister company does and I'm unsure about the quality of those but if you can find an arsenal SGL jump on it I regret selling my 31

Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4562 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

I bought Surefire mags ( 30 rd) for my Saiga AK 7.62X39 and they work flawlessly.
Got them from Mississippi Auto Arms.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-762x39-magazines-c-289_337.html

NSDQ

Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

hmmmmmm unfortunately swat.fi wont let me buy magazines there as they cant export them. Bummer. Over here they are seen just as plastic boxes with a spring, not weapon parts. That is until you mount them on a weapon of course.

Too bad, ill keep looking...

Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by _winer_ View Post
hmmmmmm unfortunately swat.fi wont let me buy magazines there as they cant export them. Bummer. Over here they are seen just as plastic boxes with a spring, not weapon parts. That is until you mount them on a weapon of course.

Too bad, ill keep looking...
That sucks...I'm guessing the problem is Itella (Finnish Post), because they in their infinite wisdom (or obvious anti-gun agenda) decided some time ago to stop carrying any packages containing weapon parts, even wooden stocks are a no-go...

You can still try to contact Defendor.eu and see if they have figured out any alternative methods for shipping mags out of the country. There are courier services that transport weapon parts, but they are usually very expensive

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #18

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Mauser K98-Accuracy,facts and suggestions