Saiga 7.62x39 question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga 7.62x39 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saiga 7.62x39 question

I bought a Saiga about 8 mo.'s ago and haven't shot it yet. I changed out the furniture to "tacticalize" it and modded the feed ramp to accept AK mags. Haven't changed out the fcg yet. I was wondering if I should change it out or leave as is. Before I take out to the range can anyone tell me how well the perform or should I sell it. I aslo bought a Draco pistol and love it! That thing shoots great out of the box! Very accurate at close range and it's fun too!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I do not own one but my cousin does. It has been reliable all of the times I have been with him when we shot it. Fairly accurate for what it is. I do not think is in any way a precision rifle but it is designed to be a tactical type rifle. Which means if it shoots a 3" or 4" group at 100 yards that is acceptable. Be sure and get you an AK Sight Tool with the front Front Sight Tool before you go to the Range. His windage was OK but his elevation was atrocious! If yours is anything like his it was way off on zero. I am sure from his that they spend ZERO time attempting to sight them before the send them our. Unless you are shooting an Elephant at 50 yards! HA!
But the rifle does go bang every time and we have had no functioning problems with it. For the cost they seem to be a good rifle.
I have an AK at it is not a target rifle it is a combat tactical rifle!~

Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #3

Default saiga

what do you mean "modded the ramp to accept ak mags" ????
I'm thinking of buying a saiga and don't want to pay the bucks for special mags.

deadworm

Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm View Post
what do you mean "modded the ramp to accept ak mags" ????
I'm thinking of buying a saiga and don't want to pay the bucks for special mags.

deadworm
In order for Saiga to import their rifles, they are "sporterized" to meet BATF regs. So the fcg and mag was altered. You can buy standard Saiga mags and pay the price or you can mod the reciever to accept standard AK47 mags. If you choose to do this, you have to make it BATF compliant. What this is is a feed ramp adapter that is installed at the base of the reciever feed ramp. And you have to drill and tap the receiver and make a minor alteration to the mag locking tang on the fromt of the mag. Sounds like a pain in the butt, but it is fairly easy to do with the right tools and basic mech. skills.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #5

Had to look up some websites. Go to savvsurvivor.com and click on Saiga rifles this will expain the mod proses. Then go to dinzag arms for the parts. However, your best bet would be to buy a Romanian AK and be done with it.

Last edited by jhog; 01-29-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added info