Saiga .308... dented shells?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga .308... dented shells?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saiga .308... dented shells?

My Saiga .223 rifle tends to dent the casings when it ejects them, making reloading the casings impossible. This doesn't bother me because i don't reload .223, but i was planning on buying the same gun in .308 caliber. Does anyone know if the Saiga .308 has the same problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

It would have to dent the brass a lot to make reloading "impossible". My HK and CETME both put pretty good dents on the case bodies and mouth. The cases reload w/o any problems. If the mouth is dented badly enough that the expander ball will not fit in, use needle nose pliers to get it back close to round and the die will fix the rest.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 03-09-2009 at 02:30 AM.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I reload all my ammo,and it is a hassle with the Saiga 223 denting the brass. I also have a Kel-tec PLR16 223 pistol that is hard on brass too. My easy fix was to just shoot the cheap Wolf steel cased ammo out of both guns. Both guns are mainly used for just plinking at targets,so match grade ammo isn't needed. I haven't ever shot a Saiga in 308 but I would figure their accuracy is on par with the 223 and not a tac driver,just by the cheap stuff and shoot away.Leave your good ammo for your accurate guns,and then you won't have to mess with fixing dented up brass.
I'm not saying that Saiga's or Kel-tecs aren't accurate,I just have many others that will put them to shame.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I assume you are talking about dents in the case neck? aside from lowering the life of the brass, you should be able to get away with a couple of trips through the sizing die before they split. The quality of the cases would probably determine how much mileage you would get out of them. As to the .308 question, I'm afraid I have no first hand experience. I only know that every Saiga I have seen at the range dents the heck out of the cases, no matter what the caliber.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #5

Default I have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCoastie89 View Post
My Saiga .223 rifle tends to dent the casings when it ejects them, making reloading the casings impossible. This doesn't bother me because i don't reload .223, but i was planning on buying the same gun in .308 caliber. Does anyone know if the Saiga .308 has the same problem?
I just bought one and I have the very same problem. The dent is deep and on the casing, NOT the neck.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a wasr 10 7.62x39 cal. I've noticed my brass would sometimes get dents lower than the neck too, also some brass I've collected had the dents. I think the cause of the dents is when the case ejects it ejects with much power (and if you shoot at a gun range) it hits a corner of your booth and gets dented. I have wanted to reload for some time now and starting to collect 7.62 brass for when I start. Thanks to for answering my question on if I can reload the semi dented brass. I have found some major dented brass that I probably should not reload.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #7

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

I also have a WASR in 7.62x39 but it does not dent the brass or steel cases. Don't know if that's unusual or not since I haven't checked what other AKs or Saigas do. Thought I'd mention it since that indicates there should be a fix for the problem. I will say it seems my WASR has a real soft and slow bolt recoil compared to others I've seen. Must be a real strong recoil spring I guess or something diferent about the gas pressure. It always ejects the casing and strips off a new round reliably but when watching someone else shoot it the bolt cycling almost looks like it's in slow motion!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My Mini-14 does the same thing...a little dent caused in the ejection of the spent casing. I've saved all my brass for reloading as it didn't seem severe enough to cause an issue.

Besides, you never know when you'll need the brass!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #9

You can reload dented brass. At worst maybe you won't get as much life out of them.

I have seen a product on the market to prevent dented brass, it's some kind of rubber stopper that goes on the dust cover. I have also heard of people installing rubber moldings or weatherstripping or cutting the dust cover where the brass hits. It's an AK... identify the problem and you can probably fix it with a hammer.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shot my wasr in the open with no both. it ejects nearly 7 feet. the dents could be the ejection power then hitting a hard object, such as a wall. although when I shot in the open, it was a good 2 years ago so I could not recover my brass to see if it left dents.