Saiga 223
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Saiga 223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Saiga 223

I have been doing a little research on the Saiga 223 and have so far read really good reviews of this rifle. Does anyone recommend getting one of these rifles, the price of these guns seem to be in the low $300's and the reliability seems to be pretty darn good. Also wondering if they have a warranty seeing that they are made in Russia??? Anyways just looking for some insight on these and any valuable info is always appreciated.

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Remington 870 & 887 NitroMag 28"
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #2

I've been doing a lot of research on Saigas as of late, and while I have never shot one, I would recommend them. They are true Russian AKs, built in a sporting configuration so they can be imported to the U.S. Depending on what you want the rifle for, it can be converted back to it's original configuration for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200, depending on what parts are used. Once this is done, your 922r compliance is met, and you've installed a bullet guide, you can use 30 round Galil mags.

If the conversion is the way you want to go, you can get all the parts needed from Carolina Shooters Supply. They also have videos on youtube, just search for Saiga Conversion, and look for their set of videos. If you can use a drill and a tap, you can do the conversion in several hours.

A Saiga is definitely going to be my next purchase, maybe my next two, I just can't decide which caliber to go with first, 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. If you have any other questions just let me know, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 10-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation I am going to go pick one up tomorrow in 5.56 brand new for $329.99. After countless hours of research it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Once I pick it up the first mod will be to add the pistol grip, any recommendations on where to pick one up for cheap???

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Saiga Stocks
This is just one source. I have seen cheaper.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Default re saiga .223

I have owned a saiga 308 win now for over 2 years and its a great piece of kit,
reliable shoots great and easy to clean.
I made my own dragunov type stock and forestock, even put some springs in the stock to lessen recoil.
I would recommend these rifles to anyone.
cheers chris

Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulHead77 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation I am going to go pick one up tomorrow in 5.56 brand new for $329.99. After countless hours of research it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Once I pick it up the first mod will be to add the pistol grip, any recommendations on where to pick one up for cheap???
Watch this
, it's a five part series, and it shows you how to do the conversion. For you to attach the pistol grip, you have to do the conversion.

If you watch it and decide that it's what you wanna do, then go here, and look through and see what conversion kit suits your fancy. They've got everything from traditional warsaw pact length stocks, all different sorts or folders and collapsible stocks, just depends on what you're looking for.

To my knowledge, all of the kits come with the saw style pistol grip, but they have all sorts of pistol grips for AKs, as well as an adapter that will let you use an AR grip as well.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Saiga Stocks
This is just one source. I have seen cheaper.
Thanks for the link.

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7

Watch this Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER4xCkd4_do, it's a five part series, and it shows you how to do the conversion. For you to attach the pistol grip, you have to do the conversion.

If you watch it and decide that it's what you wanna do, then go here, and look through and see what conversion kit suits your fancy. They've got everything from traditional warsaw pact length stocks, all different sorts or folders and collapsible stocks, just depends on what you're looking for.

To my knowledge, all of the kits come with the saw style pistol grip, but they have all sorts of pistol grips for AKs, as well as an adapter that will let you use an AR grip as well.

-Fred
Thanks again Fred, your input is much appreciated. I am looking forward to getting this as a fun mod project that I hope someday will have a drum mag along with other fun stuff, looks like a lot of fun adding all kinds accessories to it and that will be the final mod to complete the package. I'll upload a pic tomorrow and give updates to my project gun as it goes along. Cheers!!!

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #9

Check out J&G Sales. They have most of their Saiga sporters on sale for $299.99 and in calibers of .410 shotgun, .223, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #10

Nice imformation video - pleasure to watch.

chris