Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   safe oils and lubricants to use (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/safe-oils-lubricants-use-65289/)

VASH1456 05-28-2012 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been using this little bottle of REMINGTON oil that I got from Walmart for $2 (not the spray can) and the oil is clear. Every time I use it a short time later (2 to 3 hours later) I'll notice the oil has evaporated. I was wondering if its safe to use 3-IN-ONE OIL or SUPER TECH LUBRICANT on my saiga?

Attachment 47122

therewolf 05-28-2012 12:37 PM

I've had the best success on Combloc semis with ATF.

Keeps them running, it's cheap, cleans while it lubricates.

It just seems to work well with the very simple design's

field strip paradigm. Brush on internal parts generously, allow to

soak in. Wipe off soot. Re-apply sparingly. Clean up

drips, re-assemble. Use before and after every barrel cleaning.

Unbelievable time saver...

For external metal, try Mobil 1...

pennhead 05-28-2012 12:38 PM

Is the Super Tech the Walmart store brand equivalent of WD40? If so, I would avoid using it as a lubricant.

WD40 is a solvent, and will damage rubber. Good thing there's no rubber in an AK, eh? I learned not to use WD40 on drive chains or pellet rifles. On O-Ring chain, it will damage and eventually get past the o-ring, where it will dissolve the lubricant inside the chain and leave it dry, ruining the chain. On pellet rifles, it will damage seals, eventually causing a leak.

WD40 will displace water very effectively, and then dry leaving a clean surface prepped for lubricant. By itself it is not a terribly effective lubricant, and will instead remove beneficial lubricants in your gun. If you use it to clean, make certain to replace the lubricant that it removed from critical areas.

I don't have an opinion on the 3-in-1, other than I imagine it's too light to provide much benefit. It's made for sewing machines and similar delicate machinery.

kycol 05-28-2012 01:17 PM

3in1has served me well for over 30 years

MikeJK 05-31-2012 03:49 PM

If it's evaporating it's probably not the best idea because it's obviously not right for this application.

Try some of the EWL products. I've been using a high temp multi purpose grease. It makes my stuff smooth as hell. I've heard the same about Frog Lube.

Shoobee 05-31-2012 03:59 PM

I agree with 3-in-1 for the trigger housing group (that's M-14 talk for whatever you call your trigger assembly).

For metal on metal I prefer silicone grease however, because it sticks longer.

MikeJK 05-31-2012 05:29 PM

Yep stick w/ old tech because ingenuity ceased years ago (that's real talk for whatever you call real talk).

SSCRS 05-31-2012 06:34 PM

I really only use white lithium grease on my AK's , with a drop or 2 of Slip 2000 on the bolt ( stuff I use on my pistols and lever guns mainly ).

Really dont over think lubrication on AK's. ATF, motor oil, clp. They all work fine.

VASH1456 06-01-2012 11:51 AM

Thank you everyone for your info.

Argyle_Armoring 06-01-2012 12:27 PM

CLP. Learn it, live it, LOVE it!