The russians invented the Ak but the chinese perfected it your opinion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > The russians invented the Ak but the chinese perfected it your opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
talk to a russian and you will learn that a simple russian farmer invented space flight, the telephone, cars, aircraft, the ballpoint pen, personal computers on and on...

yes they copied the stg44
But, Al Gore invented the internet!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #12

Kalashnikov began his career as a weapon designer while in a hospital after he was shot in the shoulder during the Battle of Bryansk.[12] After tinkering with a submachine gun design, he entered a competition for a new weapon that would chamber the 7.62x41mm cartridge developed by Elisarov and Semin in 1943 (the 7.62x41mm cartridge predated the current 7.62x39mm M1943). A particular requirement of the competition was the reliability of the firearm in the muddy, wet, and frozen conditions of the Soviet front line. Kalashnikov designed a carbine, strongly influenced by the American M1 Garand, that lost out to the Simonov design (scaled down PTRS-41), that later became the SKS semi-automatic carbine. At the same time, the Soviet Army was interested in developing a true assault rifle employing a shortened M1943 round. The first such weapon was presented by Sudayev in 1944, but trials found it to be too heavy.[13] A new design competition was held two years later where Kalashnikov and his design team submitted an entry. It was a gas-operated rifle which had a breech-block mechanism similar to his 1944 carbine, and a curved 30-round magazine.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airline View Post
Kalashnikov began his career as a weapon designer while in a hospital after he was shot in the shoulder during the Battle of Bryansk.[12] After tinkering with a submachine gun design, he entered a competition for a new weapon that would chamber the 7.62x41mm cartridge developed by Elisarov and Semin in 1943 (the 7.62x41mm cartridge predated the current 7.62x39mm M1943). A particular requirement of the competition was the reliability of the firearm in the muddy, wet, and frozen conditions of the Soviet front line. Kalashnikov designed a carbine, strongly influenced by the American M1 Garand, that lost out to the Simonov design (scaled down PTRS-41), that later became the SKS semi-automatic carbine. At the same time, the Soviet Army was interested in developing a true assault rifle employing a shortened M1943 round. The first such weapon was presented by Sudayev in 1944, but trials found it to be too heavy.[13] A new design competition was held two years later where Kalashnikov and his design team submitted an entry. It was a gas-operated rifle which had a breech-block mechanism similar to his 1944 carbine, and a curved 30-round magazine.
Thats straight off wikipedia. From what it says, the gas system and exterior lay out are from the stg44, and the locking lugs are from the m1garand, and the safety is from the remington model 8. The kalashnikov team had alot of examples to play with.

Maybe the general external shape and gas system, and short rifle cartrige are from the stg44, but other ideas came from a few different rifles, probably more than they mentioned. There is just not the complexity of parts in the ak to make an stg44 the absolute inspiration.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #14

Most likely this is true; however no one has come up with anything like the AK.
And the fact is that this particular design has been proven to be the most reliable and inexpensive to make. There is no compare with the AR15 which jams all the time and 3 times more expensive.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #15

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
But, Al Gore invented the internet!
Aw CRAP! I thought the internet was just a series of tubes...

As to the AK and perfection, why would you want to

ruin a perfectly good gun by perfecting it?

It's a meat and potatoes(yes, the Russians DID invent meat,

but an Irish immigrant, Yagonov Sergeyovich Murphy, invented

potatoes...) gun, with loose tolerances, fair accuracy, immaculate

dependability, and imperfections. It's the way the gun was designed.

Rolls Royce once set about, in a surgically sterile environment,

in an attempt to build a "perfect transmission". No friction,

perfectly cast parts, everything micro-smoothed to the last

ten thousandth of an inch, and lubricated with premium oils

of the highest standards. The only problem, is their

masterpiece of engineering wouldn't propel a car.

It wouldn't move at all. Turns out friction and imperfection

were needed, in a minimal way, to aid in locomotion.

The point? IMHO, perfection is over-rated...

Last edited by therewolf; 12-30-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #16

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

I love com-blok rifles. You can do anything to them in the field, and they work! Still does not change the "invention"! Hey! Barry Satoro, or Barak Obama, (same person) has brought world peace!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #17

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I dunno, my Norinco's OK, but I just love the

undramatic simplicity of my Russian SKS.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

China made a cheap copy nothing beats a true Russian ak47. And In my opinion sks's are jokes and I wouldn't shoot 1 if it was handed to me.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #19

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 925

I gotta ask why is the SKS a joke?? Its was my first rifle and still my favorite.... I mistreat mine all the time, and its never failed me.....

Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3c0n5n1p3r
China made a cheap copy nothing beats a true Russian ak47. And In my opinion sks's are jokes and I wouldn't shoot 1 if it was handed to me.
I agree with your opinion on aks, but you really need to widen your views. The sks is a fun cheap gun to shoot. Wouldn't use one on an op, but fun to shoot nontheless.

Never Forget.