Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Romanian AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Romanian AK

I would like to know what yalls thoughts on a romanian AK is, I can get one that has something wrong with it and the fella will sell it for what he has in parts. What should I do? Im pretty good with tinkering on guns and allways wanted a AK,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 422

It may depend on what exactly is wrong with it. AKs aren't exactly as easy to do some deep repairs onas ARs are. They are mostly riveted and friction pin fitted together.

The Romanian AKs are not the best example of the AK world, but they aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be either.

If it'sfairly simple work that needs to be done, and you can get it for a fairly low price, it wouldn't be a bad AK to get into.

The AK that I have hung onto is a mixed breed, with an Egyptian receiver, and a Chinese front trunion and barrel. It has been perfectly reliable, and tends to be a hair more accurate than many other AKs I've shot.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #3

He has rebuilt the trigger group and no luck. I think this is an old AK military issue, that was cut and bought and rebuilt

Last edited by plumbernater; 06-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What is he selling it to you for?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #5

I asked if he was tired of fooling with it and interested in selling it. he said for what he had in parts. Ive not messed with a AK before but Im pretty good at these things with guns and about everything else in the house and outside as well.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbernater
I asked if he was tired of fooling with it and interested in selling it. he said for what he had in parts. Ive not messed with a AK before but Im pretty good at these things with guns and about everything else in the house and outside as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
What is he selling it to you for?
Sorry. How much money is he selling it for?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #7

If he has messed with a modified military trigger group that some of the Romanian models came with then you may be in luck. You could try dropping in as Tapco G2 trigger, these are actually quite nice and eliminate trigger slap and usually have a decent pull, travel and let-off. If the holes in the receiver are improperly located, then you may have problems, no matter what fire control group you use.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
If he has messed with a modified military trigger group that some of the Romanian models came with then you may be in luck. You could try dropping in as Tapco G2 trigger, these are actually quite nice and eliminate trigger slap and usually have a decent pull, travel and let-off. If the holes in the receiver are improperly located, then you may have problems, no matter what fire control group you use.
Good post.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #9

Im going to look at it tommorow, is there anything I should look for as to what might be the problem and fixable. Any sound it might make to let me know.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #10

Ensure the weapon is unloaded and no mag is in the rifle. Take the dust cover off and cock the hammer. Engage the safety. Pull the trigger. Nothing should happen. Put the selector in the fire mode (all the way down). Pull the trigger. the hammer should fall. Keep the trigger to the rear. Cycle the action or cock thehammer back. The disconnector should engage the hamer and stop it from going forward. Let the disconnector hold the hammer. Release trigger. It should come forward and be caught by the sear. If the disconnector fails to catch the hammer, you have a problem. If the disconnector releases the hammer and the hammer continues all teh way forward you have a problem. Try a new fire control group and see if the gun will pass the tests. If not Krebs Custom does good AK work, but you'll wait and it may cost you a bit.