romak 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > romak 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default romak 2

hi guys i just picked up a romak 2 which is one of the ak74s that was made during the ban years... i have of course taken that ugly thumb hole stock off and replaced it... but what im wondering is if the lug on the end of the barrel has been welded on or not.... if its not its very stuburn.... but im thinkin that since it was made during the ban years it very well might be weilded on.... i would like to put a traditional front slant brake on the end.

p.s took it out shooting about an hour ago and it shoots like a dream im very pleased....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pics of the lug?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Pics of the lug?

your wish is my attempt

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Pics of the lug?
well i tryed to post a pic but it said a mod would have to look at it first or somthing like that......

Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #5

a couple more questions about this gun, first every peice of brass i have shot out of this gun has a small dent just under the heck after i shoot it... is that a problem, im thinkin its not but i know there are people on here that know more about aks than me.....also i should be possible to put a underfolding stock on this gun without any magor modding right?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #6

well ive answered my own question the lug/sleeve thing is welded on. and i realized i cant put an underfolding stock on it with out drilling some wholes..... still dont know about the dents in the brass.....

can anyone tell me how to get the lug thing off since its welded? im sure a dremal is in order but some details would be great!

anyfeed back really would be great...

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take it to a pro. Trust me. You will feel like an ass walking in a gunsmith's shop with a box of parts saying" I thought I could do it myself". I had to do that once...

Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #8

well that is always good advice dave, but i have figured this one out, there is just one spot weld that is holding it on so i just need to cut that weld with a dremal and it will unscrew.... the reason i didnt find the spot weld before was that the cleaning rod was covering it... and its acualy a well done spot weld so it does not stick out much......

P.S not to many ak fans on this site is there? does not seem like the ak forum gets much trafic...

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I remember reading comments from Saiga owners about dented .308 brass as well. I think the only rel problem mentione was that the brass was wasted for reloading.

A buddy with a WASR 10 has the same or a very similar lug on the end of the barrel. He read that it was pressed and spot welded after being threaded on.