Which is right for me? SKS or AK - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Which is right for me? SKS or AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default SKS rugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
My two cents... The AK is definitely known for its rugged reliability. Pour mud, snow, sand, whatever the hell you want in it and it should keep on ticking... Truth be told the SKS and the AK are extremely similiar (the AK was designed off of the SKS a mere 2.5 or 3 years after the SKS came out ~1944). Most SKS receivers seemed to be assembled with tighter tolerances than their AK counterparts which may be a bit more tempermental when you throw your rifle in a creek, drag it back up a hill, and then pour your coffee into it, but for almost anyone NOT WAGING WAR in a desert it should be more than adequate. The longer barrel lends itself to a good deal longer sighting radius. Longer sight radius makes it easier to be very accurate. Either gun would be a great choice, I was brought into this thread because I too am in the market for a SHTF weapon... I lean toward SKS for all those reasons and more...
They did see some action in ww2 northern Russian and did well, as for mud and sand they were used primarily by the vietcong, buried them in ground, dug them up when needed and they were very functional. I do like the accuracy and plenty rugged for my use. I put a tech-sight on mine and gained 10" of sight radius. It made a big difference.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #22

Likes Given: 1

Default def worht the value

for plinking the plum crazy. AK sks you really wont be disappointed

Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 777 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

I have both and like both. But at today's prices I'd definitely choose a cheap AK. I got the SKS at least 6 years ago when they were going for $150 or less and today they're close to the cost of a WASR-10 which surprisingly hasn't changed that much in price.

My SKS is a Yugo and weighs a ton. If you go with an SKS consider a lighter one.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #24

Likes Given: 1

I think I like the SKS better. The price at almost $300 sucks so I will wait till I find a deal or I after I pick up a few others on my list. I am wanting a 91/30 mosin and after today I have to have a bolt action 22.