Which is right for me? SKS or AK - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Which is right for me? SKS or AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default AK kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJthebull View Post
Explain more please... I just put sks on lay away

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ
I would also like to know where u are getting these kits,at that price and also a russian receiver to have a genuine AK. I would be very interested to purchase one for that price.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktommysks View Post
I would also like to know where u are getting these kits,at that price and also a russian receiver to have a genuine AK. I would be very interested to purchase one for that price.
I think he was talking about the "kits" to de-sporterize the Saiga rifles (made in Russia). FWIR, they relocate the trigger to allow easier use of a pistol grip rather than the more traditional stock the Saigas come with.

Personally, i really like the wood furniture Saigas, really wanted one in .308 for a while. http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308.htm

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-19-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default AK kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think he was talking about the "kits" to de-sporterize the Saiga rifles (made in Russia). FWIR, they relocate the trigger to allow easier use of a pistol grip rather than the more traditional stock the Saigas come with.

Personally, i really like the wood furniture Saigas, really wanted one in .308 for a while. Russian American Armory
Ok i got it, I do like the saiga, but they are not exactly cheap. Then add in kit and labor. I do agree you would have a nice gun all depends on how much $ you have and want to spend.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #14

Liked 1083 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 557

OK no one cough b/s on me but I own 3 sks and 2 aks . If Im getting down and dirty and just spraying rounds then the ak takes the cake for bad ass for dependable and cool looking in STOCK FORM . But For the long shots the sks is the only one I load . I '' have hit '' a 4in pipe @450yrds with iron sights on sks , the ak would not hit water if i was in the ocean lol . When ever your in doubt just buy both and leave them stock and have fun , btw either modify or keep the firing pin clean on the sks it can and will hurt you if it sticks

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default 450yd shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
OK no one cough b/s on me but I own 3 sks and 2 aks . If Im getting down and dirty and just spraying rounds then the ak takes the cake for bad ass for dependable and cool looking in STOCK FORM . But For the long shots the sks is the only one I load . I '' have hit '' a 4in pipe @450yrds with iron sights on sks , the ak would not hit water if i was in the ocean lol . When ever your in doubt just buy both and leave them stock and have fun , btw either modify or keep the firing pin clean on the sks it can and will hurt you if it sticks
Hey M/marine, thats some good shooting" I'm getting 2" groups@150yds. with my Russkie SKS, Thats about as far as these old eyes can do w/iron sights. I do beleive the gun is capable of a shot like you made. I always said the gun is only as good as the shooter. Nice shooting....

Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #16

Likes Given: 1

Default I love my sks

don't get me wrong i just don't think that is what I will go to when i need to shoot that distance
Yes i was talking about saiga converting it to a ak platform
ill break it down
saiga look on the net centerfire etc.
saiga for $330-$340 I got mine with free shipping
plus $20 bucks for a bullet guide (if you want to use standard ak mags)
plus transfer fee mine charges $40 bucks
Labor is you.. it is a very simple if you can't do it you shouldn't be shooting
total 400 bucks.. that's not bad for a true Russian AK a extra 30 or 40 you can get a folding or m4 style stock

Old 08-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #17

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you want the accuracy of an AR, the looks & ruggedness of a AK.
Try getting a Polish Tantal it shoots the 5.45x39 round that is selling real cheap right now. As low as 11 cents per round if you buy in bulk.
You can get one for $389.99 here.
Classic Arms Inc.
About 7/8 of the way down the page.
It comes with a folding stock, but can easily be changed to a fixed stock.
But if you are going to spend more than $400 you could go up to $500 which is about what I paid for this.

I know this is the AK/SKS page but if you got the money you need to get your $$$ worth.
It is a Plum Crazy lower receiver with a custom blem upper on it.
The lower was only $119.99 & the upper cost $375 with bolt & carrier.
I have over 600rds through it to date without any problems.

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 08-20-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Default hey

7.62 do you own that plum crazy? cuz I saw a composite lower melt at the farm we shoot at I don't think it was a plum tho. right at where the front pin is started to melt. I love glocks but a AR plastic lower dose not seem good to me

Old 08-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

My two cents... The AK is definitely known for its rugged reliability. Pour mud, snow, sand, whatever the hell you want in it and it should keep on ticking... Truth be told the SKS and the AK are extremely similiar (the AK was designed off of the SKS a mere 2.5 or 3 years after the SKS came out ~1944). Most SKS receivers seemed to be assembled with tighter tolerances than their AK counterparts which may be a bit more tempermental when you throw your rifle in a creek, drag it back up a hill, and then pour your coffee into it, but for almost anyone NOT WAGING WAR in a desert it should be more than adequate. The longer barrel lends itself to a good deal longer sighting radius. Longer sight radius makes it easier to be very accurate. Either gun would be a great choice, I was brought into this thread because I too am in the market for a SHTF weapon... I lean toward SKS for all those reasons and more...

Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #20

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
7.62 do you own that plum crazy? cuz I saw a composite lower melt at the farm we shoot at I don't think it was a plum tho. right at where the front pin is started to melt. I love glocks but a AR plastic lower dose not seem good to me
Yes I own it, as for melting I don't get it that hot just plinking.
I have other guns for things like bump firing, & fast fire competitions.
The Plum Crazy is just something I wanted to try out & so far I like it, it is not the greatest but well worth the $119.99 I paid for it.