Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Which is right for me? SKS or AK (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/right-me-sks-ak-46830/)

warhawk77 08-14-2011 08:41 PM

Which is right for me? SKS or AK

I am thinking about getting a SKS but I really like the idea of getting a AK. So I am wondering if a AK will do what I need.

I am wanting to rifle to hunt coyotes, plink at the range and in case SHTF.

SKS I hear it is pretty good up to 150-200 yards. Guessing I won't need much more that 100-150 yards. What about the AK how far can I hit a foot ball size target.

Both take same round, and it is about the same as a 30-30 so should put down anything I run into.

I hear it is harder to mount a scope on the SKS (or might just cost more)

I am finding SKS for $300 but I hear they can go lower. How about the AK what range am I looking at?

Both are rugged and should stand up to anything I will be throwing at it.

Firearms4ever 08-14-2011 08:50 PM

Both will suit your intended purpose, but I think the AK 47 will serve its purpose better. The AK 47 uses a 30 round detachable magazine whereas the SKS uses a 10 round fixed magazine. I believe they use the same sights. The AK 47 I think has looser tolerances than the SKS so it's not as prone to jamming and is more reliable, but the looser tolerances cost it some accuracy. For your intended range the AK 47 should do the job. Cost wise, the AK 47 can be found as low as $400 and goes on up from there.

warhawk77 08-15-2011 01:14 AM

Thanks for the info.

I checked a few online sites I know and nothing around $400 most where $500+. I am not in a big hurry so I can wait a bit for a deal. But for over $500 I might just go the extra and get a AR. Won't have the ruggedness of a AK.

Johnny357 08-15-2011 02:35 PM

The SKS receiver is more robust than a typical sheet metal AK receiver. The SKS barrel is a longer than a typical AK. Both of those would tend toward slightly better accuracy. If you are thinking of a surplus SKS, however, the wear on it due to being a used gun may make it less accurate than a new AK.

Cornhusker 08-15-2011 05:21 PM

I like both guns, and they will both do the job pretty well.
SKS, as was mentioned, comes with a 10 round box mag, unless you find a D model which takes the AK mags
The AK is taller with it's pistol grip and long mag which is why a lot of people prefer the SKS for a truck gun.
On foot, I'd prefer the AK, but mounted in a vehicle, I'd prefer the SKS

chevyforlife1972nova 08-17-2011 12:52 AM

i would go ak

I have atleast one of each of the guns
4 0r 5 sks's
2 ak's
and a AR
a few questions
Do you clean your guns every time you shoot?
what price range are you looking ?
can you uses some simple tools and fallow directions?

warhawk77 08-17-2011 01:07 AM

I clean after every shoot. Even if it's 100 rounds

I really want to go less that $400 but that is because I can get it now and not wait

Basic tools and following directions is not a problem

chevyforlife1972nova 08-17-2011 02:39 AM

i would do a saiga

there about 350 and the kits range from 85 to 150 you can do the conversion in 4 hours and have a true russian ak in any cal you want if u want a ak-47 make sure you get a bullet guide so you can use standard ak mags

aktommysks 08-19-2011 05:05 PM

AK-SKS both good

I like them both, as far as being rugged, and reliable there's not much difference. It makes me laugh when i hear how much more rugged the AK is then the SKS. I'm not going to fill my gun with sand or mud. Don't kid yourself it takes alot to stop an SKS from working. Basically it all comes down to how much $ you have, and how long you want to wait for a good AK to come along for the price u want to spend.For $300-$400 you can get a very nice SKS,a little more accurate, and also lots of goodies if you want. Don't get me wrong i like the AK, it's a great gun. I'm only lookig at your financial situtation and the fact you want something now. I personally feel everyone should own both guns.

JJthebull 08-19-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova
there about 350 and the kits range from 85 to 150 you can do the conversion in 4 hours and have a true russian ak in any cal you want if u want a ak-47 make sure you get a bullet guide so you can use standard ak mags

Explain more please... I just put sks on lay away

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ