Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Regarding the Ban of the Chinese AK'S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Regarding the Ban of the Chinese AK'S

Hi guys if you guys didn't see my post about me looking for my first AK i have been saving up for one. Miraculously i found a Polytech up for sale at a gun shop 60 miles away from me i was so happy. they had one for over $1500 and it got sold they have one for over $3000 given the rarity of these. Maybe it will get sold i am hoping maybe i could talk them down under a $1000 yeah i wish.

So i can't seem to find any definite information regarding the ban on these i know it started in 1989. In then the Brady and Clinton gun act in like 1996 added more restrictions or something. So is the ban officially still on i know obviously if you had bought one of these chinese AK'S before '89. You could still keep it today. I wish i could just go up to Canada and buy one there and bring it back with me but the penalties i bet are steep. Too bad i really want lucky canadians can still get these. By the way why did the U.S. ban these i mean we get everything else from china???

Too bad that gun shop salesman knows what he has i was hoping he would just think it was just another ak.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

You might want to check on Gun-broker? There are two listed there.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Why do you want a Chinese AK when there are versions from a dozen other countries that are equally good? Most of the "European" AK's are mde in the use using some imported parts. A Polish, Yugo, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, etc from any one of a dozen US makers are just as good, if not better for much less than a grand.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I hate to admit this but the Chinese AK'S are the Best

I have been told in person at the range by countless AK Guru's that Everything that comes out of china. Is crap except there AK'S i couldn't believe it i guess the chinese know that Americans know. That everything that they make is cheap garbage so they really made there AK'S DAMM GOOOOOOOD. Yeah i know Russia made the very 1st and all there are yugo,bulg,czech,polish and other makers of AK'S. If you get a hold of a Norinco they are great if you get a hold of a Polytech handcuff it to yourself. One AK guy at the range said i have to admit after shooting one at the range the action was real nice. I Love that Fit & Finish and it was very accurate and AK's Are not known for Accuracy they are known for sweeping. This guy even told me that he has a Polish Tantal a Arsenal and a Polytech Legend and His Polytech puts his Arsenal and Tantal to shame. That's It there are the jobs right there we need here in the USA we need to beat the Chinese AK Quality make better ones. There is the Jobs Plan.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, if you lived near PGH, I'd sell you my stamped Keng's PolyTech AKS762 fixed-stock for what I got into it. They're good - but not $3K good. Not even the machined "Legend" is a $3K rifle.

Trust me - they're not all that.

I've bought/sold a ton of Norinco and PolyTech CHICOMs over the years, today's revisionist historians would have you think they were the finest made.

Not exactly - Galils, Valmets, Mitchell Yugos - were all sought after well ahead of the CHICOMs back then. Even the Kassner Hungarians went for more money. Some folks even liked the WASR-rough Steyr Egyptian MAADIs ahead of the CHICOMs. Who knew.

Some of TODAY's alternatives to yesterday's expensive pre-ban CHICOMs...

If you want a GREAT, stamped, affordable AKM available almost everywhere (pro-2A states that is...) - then get a Yugo. Solid as a Polytech.

If you want a GREAT, accurate AK-action rifle - get a SAIGA. Converted to "AK look" or left in "sporty" config - they are super accurate and super well made.

If you MUST have a machined recvr; the Century sub-contracted "Polish 1960 milled" AKs are Euro parts sets built up on a USA-made machined AK recvr and with US barrel and FCG.
The earliest ones were mostly built with Polish sets, later ones are Euro-mutts. All the ones I handled made me wish I had one.
From what I have read on the boards - these are SUPER rifles for what they cost.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #6

I live in Canada so I have a bit of an understanding of Canadian law.
You mentioned about getting a Chinese AK up here.
Most variants of the AK 47 are now banned in Canada, so that idea is out.
There are many other semis that are allowed, but the government at the time banned a few of the more prominent types of semis. The rumour is that they looked through a copy of Gun Digest, and banned based on looks!

The ban list has not been updated for a whhile so anything newer (Bushmaster ACR, Keltec RFB, IWI Tavor, etc) is fine.

Also, we did not do the Chinese ban, so guns other than AK's are fine.
There are MANY, MANY M14 copies here. I own two myself. Also a Norinco 1911 copy handgun as well. In fact, once the Chinese stuff could no longer be imported into USA, a lot of it ended up getting diverted to Canada.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

NFAFAN, you hit the nail right on the head. I don't recall the Chinese AK's being really sought after in the late 80's. Seemed like the Russian ones were the AK's everybody drooled over back then.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaiden View Post
NFAFAN, you hit the nail right on the head. I don't recall the Chinese AK's being really sought after in the late 80's. Seemed like the Russian ones were the AK's everybody drooled over back then.
True that; back then we didn't have SAIGAs and Reagan was knocking on the Iron Curtain.

The absolute closest we could get to a true USSR-made AKM-47 were the Steyr-imported Egyptian MAADIs.
Made in a Russian-built factory on Russian machines by Russian-trained techs, these were stamped guns with WASR-like finishes, and the bulged lower handguards so "mandatory" for the the AKM look. Affordable too.

Further up the "AK" ladder in price, fit, finish were the VALMETs with their own unique tweaks, then the Yugos and the Action Arms IMI Galils - derived from VALMETs.

The Kassner Hungarian FEGs were nicely done, but still more than the CHICOM PolyTechs and Norincos.

The PolyTechs that Kengs Firearms imported were the nicest-finished of the Chinese guns over the Norincos, B-West, other import companies - all of which were the cheapest of the "AK" styles, even below the MAADIs.

Good times back then, back before the BATF usurped the 2A and were made arbiters of "sporting uses".

As for Canada - they didn't seem to have an "SBR" or "AOW" law as some company up there called "SMG International" makes several models of semi-auto STENs with low-cap mags.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

As for Canada - they didn't seem to have an "SBR" or "AOW" law as some company up there called "SMG International" makes several models of semi-auto STENs with low-cap mags.
SBR is a US term, of course.
In Canada, it is Restricted or Non-Restricted.
All handguns are Restricted, so must only be fired at a proper gun range. No HG hunting
Depending on barrel length, a rifle can be either R or NR.
Also, the AR-15 is R by name, regardless of barrel length.
If it is R, it does not get any more restricted by swapping an even shorter barrel onto it.

So an AR-15 could easily have a 9" upper added without any further issues.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallDean View Post
SBR is a US term, of course.
<snip>

it does not get any more restricted by swapping an even shorter barrel onto it.

So an AR-15 could easily have a 9" upper added without any further issues.
Here in the USA, studies have repeatedly shown that an AR becomes deadlier by a great magnitude if the barrel is 15" versus 16"... In many states the presence of an 11th round in a magazine is proof positive that posession was with the intent of shooting up a major university, office, whatever.

An AR with 15" barrel and 30rd mag is enough to send many politicians here into an apopleptic fit and warrant immediate assault by SWAT teams.

Anyway, it could be worse here...

We lost Chinese rifles, but ingenuity and cleverness brought in "AK-style" rifles from Romania, Russian SAIGAs, Czech VZ58s, and numerous AK parts-kit-build representations of Bulgarians, Egyptians, Yugos, East German, "PLOs", Hungarians, plus the Russian, Yugo, Romania, and little-seen SKS from East Germany and Albania.