Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 46

i saw this episode a few nights ago. i'm bored at work so i googled "1000 yard ak" and found this thread. i signed up just to reply lol.

i dont remember what caliber it was. someone may have mentioned it, but i just skimmed through the first 4 pages of this thread.

i thought it was good that they had a trained sniper test it, but to me it looked like they were shooting at 3-400 yards at the most. just becasue you hit a target at that range, doesnt mean it's gonna be accurate at 1000 yards. awesome, they did some trigger work and put a match grade barrel on it. that doesnt mean **** if the cartridge you're using is crap. you can put a match trigger and a match barrel on 10/22's, i'm pretty sure you arent reaching out to a grand with it.

if it drops 67 feet at 1000 yards, that's roughly 80 MOA, is there even a scope that has that much adjustment? (if my math is right.........67 feet x 12" inches in foot = 804 inches......1 MOA = 10 inches @ 1000 yards......804 divided by 10 = 80.4 MOA) even if there is, it has 200 ft lbs. of energy, i dont think that's enough to puncture human skin.

i think to call it a 1000 yard AK, it should be chambered in the AK caliber. anything else and it isnt an AK.

as far as the show goes, it's meant for entertainment. they have to think all this stupid **** up or they'll get cancelled. i dont really look to gain any useful knowledge out of the show. to me, most of the employees think they're hot **** with exception of 2 or 3 of them.

i may be the only one, but i have to physically restrain myself from shoving a screw driver in my ears when the daughter talks or laughs.

end rant

Old 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #72

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

The 7.62 X 39 was specifically designed for use at less than 400

yards, in answer to the German Kurz round of WWII.

What moron would want to use a short range round for

1000 yards?

The whole concept of the Kurz, 7.62 x39, and 5.56 ammo is the

mid to short range firefight.

What "Sons of Guns" is doing is re-inventing the Dragonuv or

SVT 40 with a cripple for a cartridge. Great work, guys!

I wouldn't buy a BB Gun from those nitwits if it cost a nickel.

Last edited by therewolf; 10-06-2011 at 02:17 PM.
St8LineGunsmith Likes This 
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd take just about any Savage deer rifle over that thing, and pay thousands less.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #74

Experiment guns are never all that practical, practical guns are the result of refining experimental guns into a production setting. Most experimental guns are never shown to the public, your getting a small peek at what goes into product research for a firearms maker.

The rifle is based off a saiga .308 which is a sporting rifle made on the AK action in russia. They did some interesting things with the rifle (free floating gas system), which are fairly complicated, yet you don't see anything about it in the show.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Either way, it's still kinda ridiculous. The AK was never intended to be a precision long-range rifle. Such rifles do not need to be assault rifles, or even a carbine. The whole idea of the AK is a cheap and reliable low to medium range assault rifle with high ammo capacity. If you want a long-range rifle, almost any bolt action rifle will do better. These people just capitalize on the "cool" factor - if you can call it that - of the AK and "sniper" shooting, for people that don't know anything about guns. Either way, there is already a precision long-range carbine with a free-floating gas system; it's called the AR, and it costs thousands less even still.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #76

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The 7.62 X 39 was specifically designed for use at less than 400

yards, in answer to the German Kurz round of WWII.

What moron would want to use a short range round for

1000 yards?

The whole concept of the Kurz, 7.62 x39, and 5.56 ammo is the

mid to short range firefight.

What "Sons of Guns" is doing is re-inventing the Dragonuv or

SVT 40 with a cripple for a cartridge. Great work, guys!

I wouldn't buy a BB Gun from those nitwits if it cost a nickel.
Finely someone who feels like me. I can't stand them morons.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #77

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Let me put it like this:

I'll go into the field with my 400$, meat and potatoes,

plane-jane AK,

You can bring whatever fancified, free gas, long-range having

AK you want...
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #78

I think they make some pretty nice weapons eg. the masterkey. However they do tend to go a bit rogue with their ideas. Like the "trimese" ar. I'm sorry but wtf?? What use could there possibly be for that. Anyway I doubt they actually made that for 1k yds ill bet its really just supposed to ba a dmr type rifle akin to the mk12 spr, accurate just beyond the normal range but really just meant to give a precision capability to a squad. NOT to reach out 1k yds but more as a counter sniper rifle in an urban environment.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #79

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
I think they make some pretty nice weapons eg. the masterkey. However they do tend to go a bit rogue with their ideas. Like the "trimese" ar. I'm sorry but wtf?? What use could there possibly be for that. Anyway I doubt they actually made that for 1k yds ill bet its really just supposed to ba a dmr type rifle akin to the mk12 spr, accurate just beyond the normal range but really just meant to give a precision capability to a squad. NOT to reach out 1k yds but more as a counter sniper rifle in an urban environment.
The "master key" has been around for a long time. We had them back in OEF IV. I preferred my foot. My foot worked just as well and didn't add any more weight to my loadout.

That show is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #80

Yes I know they have them, but they're. Almost always with no exception pump guns. RJF was one of the first to make it with a semi auto and with quick detach capability as opposed to being barrel mounted on the gun

Closed Thread