Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I really tried to like the show, but it's just as poor as OCC, Pawn Stars, Swamp People, etc. They are all the same, with Americans looking stupid. I almost wonder if the Discovery channel has other motives to portray the Gun Shop as too dumb to warrant having the permits that they do.

Also, I know folks that have been building and shooting AKs in different calibers, modified to make shots out to damn near 1000 yds and they've been at for years!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #32

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I was at a local gun show yesterday and a dealer was selling custom AR's - the A3 design - for $599 in 5.56 and 7.62x39. I asked him about them and he said he'd already sold five of the six guns he'd brought to the show - including both 7.62's - by lunch time. He also had two A2 style guns in 6.8 ($699) and had sold one. I know it's not really a new idea but it would look like he has the right idea if you really want the best of both worlds in choosing to get a longer range gun that fires the AK round... just use the AK bullet in an AR rifle. I would have seriously considered one in 7.62 if he'd still had one for sale, especially at the price they were going for.

FWIW, there was plenty to look at and the prices were all WELL below MRSP on all the guns I saw. While there were still higher end AR's selling for $1,500 or more, up there with the Sig's, many NIB AR's going for $700-$900, even S&W M&P 15's. Most AK's were between $300 and $500 depending on make and model. There was one guy there with a full case of nice Mosin-Nagants selling for $150 each. I didn't ask if they came with any extras like a cleaning kit but the price was good and the guns in VERY nice shape. For the most part handguns were also selling for prices that ranged from reasonable to almost cheap. It was a nice change over what the shows were like a year ago! I though about going back today to look for some Sunday afternoon bargains but have other commitments. The only thing that seems to have gone up since the last show here in February was the price of ammo. There was plenty of it but it was more expensive.

Last edited by rachilders; 07-25-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #33

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I really tried to like the show, but it's just as poor as OCC, Pawn Stars, Swamp People, etc. They are all the same, with Americans looking stupid. I almost wonder if the Discovery channel has other motives to portray the Gun Shop as too dumb to warrant having the permits that they do.

Also, I know folks that have been building and shooting AKs in different calibers, modified to make shots out to damn near 1000 yds and they've been at for years!
That has been my thoughts too.
Discovery channel has been portraying the blue collar type middle class as a bunch of dumb A$$ people that every one needs to make fun of.
Just remember that it is just a show if you don't like whats on don't watch it, if enough of us stop watching maybe they will put a real reality show on. I know it is like watching a train wreck you just can't turn away it is just that stupid. Who would want an AK with a $1000+ barrel that still shoots the 7.62x39 round? It has been proven many times that the round is only good out to 300 to 350 yds. If I had that kind of $$$$ to spend on a sniper rifle it wouldn't be one that shoots a round with that kind of ballistic history.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #34

meh not impressed. taking a rifle making it appear as an ak47 then claiming it's a 1000yard ak is retarded.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Remember it's "Hollywood" Any gunsmith shop's normal business would be boring. Also I'd bet that some of the weird weapons designs are coming from some Producer who wants a "catch" for any particular episode. Like the show with the Sheriff who shows up and wants a class 3 Thompson for his SWAT team. When was the last time you saw THE boss running an errand that a Sgt or LT would normally be tasked with?(with a Deputy actually going to the contract shop to handle the order)And the conversion cost more than just procuring a new class 3 from a manufacturer. IT's just Hollywood.

Noblesse Oblige

Vee_Kay Likes This 
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #36

I personally enjoy the show. I don't watch it for them to tell me about necessary permits and safety. I watch it to see professionals build cool weapons that I do not have the money, permits, or skills to build.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #37

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
I watch it to see professionals build cool weapons that I do not have the money, permits, or skills to build.
Professionals???
Yes they are "Professional Actors" thank goodness you didn't call them gunsmiths.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
That has been my thoughts too.
Discovery channel has been portraying the blue collar type middle class as a bunch of dumb A$$ people that every one needs to make fun of.
Who would want an AK with a $1000+ barrel that still shoots the 7.62x39 round? It has been proven many times that the round is only good out to 300 to 350 yds. If I had that kind of $$$$ to spend on a sniper rifle it wouldn't be one that shoots a round with that kind of ballistic history.
Well, it wasn't any sort of military rifle at all. It was a Saiga conversion of a .308 sporting rifle. So it did have the capabilities to get out to 1000yds, but I know guys that have machined their own barrels/chambers to receive a barrel intended for a different platform, they just ordered their stuff and installed it.

These jokers are making gun people appear to be irresponsible jerks, it just isn't fair to be represented that way.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Yes in deed! I have some swamp land for sale in the Arizona desert!
An AK making an excellent 1000 yard rifle! I think not! It is hard enough to get a M-14 Match Rifle dialed in to be consistent at 1000 Yards. Gas system and all plays a part when it comes to precise accuracy at the range. 1 MOA = 10 inches at 1000 yards. AK "Not"! Most big bores are capable of launching a round out to 1000 yards but not with precision accuracy. May be a hit once in a while but nothing with consistency. I have a Springfield M-1 A NM that is a shooter but at a 1000 yards it will not out shoot my Remington Custom Shop built Remington 40X Rifle on average. God knows I like the M-14/M-1 A rifles I had two Match M-14s in the military. But 1000 yard shooting for accuracy is another animal. Just can't buy the claim regarding the AK!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sons of Guns

I feel the same as you Diggs. I'll watch a few more and if they don't start doing some realistic conversions then it's over for me. 1000 yd shot with the grouping they showed, they never did say what bullet they used, but $2800 in the time frame they were given. Uuuummmm i doubt it. Too much Hollywood for me. I really hope they can come up with some realistic shows. IMO the show has potential.We need all the help we can get!!!!

Closed Thread