Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/red-jackets-first-1000-yard-ak-45584/)

Redarrow18 07-21-2011 03:59 PM

Red Jackets "First" 1000 yard AK?

So, on a new episode of the Discovery channel's Son's of Guns show last night, they made the "first" AK Sniper Rifle, capable of accurate 1000 yard shots, and what's making me weirded out is that the AK being around for like 60 years(?) no one has made a 1000 yard AK? What they did was just take the best part of the AK and A Sniper and mixed them. Don't get me wrong it was freaking sweet but I didn't know what it was the "first", I thought the Dragunov was an AK sniper but anyways, what do you guys think of that? ill try to find a video of the episode or pictures of the gun they made

edit: heres the website and page of the AK, my Flashplayer isn't updated enough to watch the videos but try it out
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons-of-guns-ak-sniper-rifle-videos/

Comeswithbacon 07-21-2011 04:23 PM

Isn't this a 1000 yard AK?

Zastava M76 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is he trying to get a 1000 yards with 7.62x39?:confused::eek::confused:

Redarrow18 07-21-2011 05:10 PM

That was what I was thinking, maybe they were talking about a modern one or something, at the end they wanted like $2800 for it i think

willshoum 07-21-2011 05:29 PM

Mary had a little Lamb........

At first I thought this show was going somewhere. Now it's turned to fertilizer. The same with all the shows, swamp people, one man army, So what else can they come up with to make the american public look like the idiots they are on these shows........P S Here we have a Lic. gun dealer in Baton Rouge fireing off lethal projectiles in his parking lot.......Dumb red neck or Dumb coonass.....:eek:

Comeswithbacon 07-21-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redarrow18 (Post 547144)
That was what I was thinking, maybe they were talking about a modern one or something, at the end they wanted like $2800 for it i think

$2800:eek:
for a so-called 1000 yard 7.62x39mm rifle?

canebrake 07-21-2011 06:57 PM

You notice they didn't say what caliber?

I heard it was based on the Saiga .308. And no one is talking about the hand rolled round that made the shot.

It was build with an aluminum bedding block behind the gasblock and tied into the receiver and trunnion. The barrel is free-float from the gasblock forward.

Harmonic's and stability made the 1,000 yard shot doable along with an experienced shooter on the trigger.

And the show got the price wrong. They had $3,800.00 into the build.

willshoum 07-21-2011 06:58 PM

Take My Daughter Please...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comeswithbacon (Post 547188)
$2800:eek:
for a so-called 1000 yard 7.62x39mm rifle?

M1 Garrand If you please, Oh and by the by my uncle brought home a JAP rifle and a bloody jap flag taken on the Island of Okinawa, USMC. He was one of many, and the first wave to hit the Island.......He killed the sniper that was killing those around him..........To this day the family still owns the rifle and the flag of the Jap that took american lives on that Island.....

Gojubrian 07-21-2011 07:06 PM

I like how everything they shoot EXPLODES in true hollywood fashion. :rolleyes:
Yeah ,that's what guns can do ,joe public......... :rolleyes:

Comeswithbacon 07-21-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshoum (Post 547219)
M1 Garrand If you please, Oh and by the by my uncle brought home a JAP rifle and a bloody jap flag taken on the Island of Okinawa, USMC. He was one of many, and the first wave to hit the Island.......He killed the sniper that was killing those around him..........To this day the family still owns the rifle and the flag of the Jap that took american lives on that Island.....

You quoted me and told me the story why exactly?

diggsbakes 07-21-2011 10:16 PM

I really tried to have a positive outlook on this show as well, but it is quickly fading. The triple AR was a joke too. Just way too out there and impractical. I'm gonna watch a few more episodes in hopes that they do some real projects that demonstrate some craftsmanship, but I don't see it.