Ready to buy my first AK - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Ready to buy my first AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts

Not sure the technical name for it but it was produced in Yugoslavia and has the collapsable underfolding stock. This is my first Ak and I'm not very fluent with their models yet

Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #42

Liked 97 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I'd like to have some comment on the C39 that I own. Could this be related to negative comments I see on Century Arms or is mine a different manufacturer. This is a 100% USA AK rifle (the only to my knowledge?), has a very thick milled receiver, and has shot perfectly, no exceptions, since taking it out of the box. And accurate to boot, for this style gun.

I went shooting a couple weeks ago with someone much more knowledgeable than myself, a current US Marine, and he said it's the nicest shooting and built AK he's ever seen. Comments?

Last edited by DP03; 10-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
I'd like to have some comment on the C39 that I own. Could this be related to negative comments I see on Century Arms or is mine a different manufacturer. This is a 100% USA AK rifle (the only to my knowledge?), has a very thick milled receiver, and has shot perfectly, no exceptions, since taking it out of the box. And accurate to boot, for this style gun.

I went shooting a couple weeks ago with someone much more knowledgeable than myself, a current US Marine, and he said it's the nicest shooting and built AK he's ever seen. Comments?
I've got the same model. Only AK I've ever fired, but it puts my AR to shame on the fun meter.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #44

Liked 97 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetc View Post
I've got the same model. Only AK I've ever fired, but it puts my AR to shame on the fun meter.
Yea, I like mine a lot. I put on a Sig front grip that integrates a light and laser. The laser was just a bonus....don't really need it, but the grip and light make shooting this gun so nice!!

I just went online and read reviews of this gun. It appears that Century had it's share of issues in the past, and has cleaned up their act since about 2010. All the reviews of the C39 were very positive, noting good quality and trouble free shooting. And everyone seems to like the Tapco 2 stage trigger.......

Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #45

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default How to reconize it

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Not sure the technical name for it but it was produced in Yugoslavia and has the collapsable underfolding stock. This is my first Ak and I'm not very fluent with their models yet
I know the yugo small arms pretty well, especially those used in the yugo wars (Which means all of them) and I've learn everything I know on the field.
Assuming that it's origin is Yugoslavia, it should be an M70 AB2.
How to recognize an Yugo M70(What does it make different from the other AKs).
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that has 3 cooling holes on the handguard
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that has a RPK front trunnion
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that hasn't chrome lined barrel
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that has integrated granade launcher sights for 20mm rifle grenades.Except for later models as the AB3 and B2 variants, their design was modified to accept 40mm grenade laucher.
-Yugoslavian AK has usually an incision on the left side of the rifle, under the rear sight.The incision contains always the model.

If it is an underfolder, it can only be an AB2 or AB3.If it presents integrated grenade launcher sights, then it is an AB2(Like the one shown in the picture below.I used these weapons near Vukovar:Zastava M70 AB2(Above),Zastava M59/66A1(In the middle), Zastava M98/48(Below) )
Ready to buy my first AK - AK & SKS Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth

I know the yugo small arms pretty well, especially those used in the yugo wars (Which means all of them) and I've learn everything I know on the field.
Assuming that it's origin is Yugoslavia, it should be an M70 AB2.
How to recognize an Yugo M70(What does it make different from the other AKs).
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that has 3 cooling holes on the handguard
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that has a RPK front trunnion
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that hasn't chrome lined barrel
-Yugoslavian AK is the only one that has integrated granade launcher sights for 20mm rifle grenades.Except for later models as the AB3 and B2 variants, their design was modified to accept 40mm grenade laucher.
-Yugoslavian AK has usually an incision on the left side of the rifle, under the rear sight.The incision contains always the model.

If it is an underfolder, it can only be an AB2 or AB3.If it presents integrated grenade launcher sights, then it is an AB2(Like the one shown in the picture below.I used these weapons near Vukovar:Zastava M70 AB2(Above),Zastava M59/66A1(In the middle), Zastava M98/48(Below) )
Dam, no chrome lined barrel?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1369 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Just because you start with a hooker doesn't mean you can't date the preacher's daughter later.
Not to derail this thread but if you could have a hooker, why would you date the preacher's daughter?... Unless of course... nah. Seriously though, when you really need it, it's all about the banging. That's what I love about AK's.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #48

Quote:

Dam, no chrome lined barrel?
Because of the lack of chrome mines in yugo territory, the government opted for a non-chromed-lined solution.Actually, all the former yugo small arms weapons are non-chrome-lined.On one size, this solution should make the weapon more accurate,on the other hand makes the barrel more exposed to corrosive ammo and to the environment.Modern Zastava products has chrome lined barrels(Zastava Arms is actually the former Cervena Zastava, which is itself the former Kragujevac Arsenal...The place where all these weapons were produced since '20s(actually everything began in 19th century).

Old 10-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth

Because of the lack of chrome mines in yugo territory, the government opted for a non-chromed-lined solution.Actually, all the former yugo small arms weapons are non-chrome-lined.On one size, this solution should make the weapon more accurate,on the other hand makes the barrel more exposed to corrosive ammo and to the environment.Modern Zastava products has chrome lined barrels(Zastava Arms is actually the former Cervena Zastava, which is itself the former Kragujevac Arsenal...The place where all these weapons were produced since '20s(actually everything began in 19th century).
Man, that's kind of a big killer for me on this Yugo. Guess that's an excuse for another Ak lol

Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #50

Quote:

Man, that's kind of a big killer for me on this Yugo. Guess that's an excuse for another Ak lol
I understand tour position bit I suggest you to reconsider it.The M70 si considered one of the finest AK out there, despite the fact that its barrel si not chrome lined.It is one of the most popular rifles by IASC shooters, security officers,contractors and soldiers(US marines train even with it and the hungarian amd65).The M70 si known for being a little more accurate, having rpk trunnion(superiore quality, more durable), having "closable" gas system(you can use the full power of the cardrige), having greater rate of fire(725 rounds/Min, usually is 600 and even less if the fire is sustained) and a thicker receiver(heavier but more durable).The m70 is a true leggend!!!The rifle will survive you and be fully operational if you keep the barrel clean....that's the only condition.

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 10-10-2013 at 10:40 AM.