Ready to buy my first AK
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Ready to buy my first AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default Ready to buy my first AK

I found a NIB wasr 10/63 for 475$ at a LGS. I'm very un-knowledgable about AKs. Is this a decent price ? If not where should I look and how much more would be needed for a good quality rifle ? Also are there any certain things I need to look for when checking out the rifle ? Any helpful input is appreciated !!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

I say go for it. That's a great price for an AK

Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton View Post
I found a NIB wasr 10/63 for 475$ at a LGS. I'm very un-knowledgable about AKs. Is this a decent price ? If not where should I look and how much more would be needed for a good quality rifle ? Also are there any certain things I need to look for when checking out the rifle ? Any helpful input is appreciated !!
Right now thats very cheap . I would not hesitate to pick it up at that price, and if you dont want it let me know where its available at

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-29-2013 at 10:17 PM.
CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton View Post
DON'T DO IT!
1)The WASR 10 isn't known for being a good AK.It is often cheap because it is not well made.
2)Your first AK should be something special, if you got disappointed by the first AK, thank you'll have a bad opinion about a platform which is VERY GOOD.Don't miss a thing!.
3)What are you supposed to do with the rifle?Don't set budget before you've defined what you're going to do with the rifle.Some AK are good for hunting; some other for tactical shooting; some other are collectible only.The price depends mainly on what you need.
4)Think twice.You are not buying the rifle only, your buying ammo(it can be hard-to-be-found, expensive or else), modifications(e.g. new furniture, upgrades, etc....again....it can be expensive or impossible to be done.), parts kits to replace damaged parts.

The best AK are the folowing:
Chambered in the M43 ammo, 7,62x39
-Zastava M70-Considered the best rifle by Tactical Shooter
-Saigas 39-Considered very accurate, good for hunting
-Type 56-Considered the general-purpose AK.Pretty good quality.
-IWI or IMI Galil- Hybrid between AK-FAL-M16 concepts.Military very appreciated and beloved, extremely good performace!
-AMD 65 & AK63-Hungarian made.One of the preferred rifles by contractors and security personnel. My opinion?IT ROCKS!

Chambered in the 5,56X45
-Galil/Galil ACE-See above
-AK 101 or AK 102-Available for export to the USA.Nice, but I would not buy one.I don't like them.

Chambered in the 5,45X39
-AK74-Russian made,one of the most successful AK derivatives.It is still the main service rifle of the Russian forces. the M model is cool(AK74M, the upgraded version of the AK74)

AVOID THESE RIFLES:
-WASR 10+ the whole line Wars(it is chambered in several calibers)
-Bulgarian o Egyptian stuff-These are known for being low quality products

if you need more info, let me know.I'll be glad to help you.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Liked 362 Times on 207 Posts

I second staying away from WASRs, and just about anything assembled by the monkeys at Century. My Galil from them was a nightmare. The trunion was set wrong, the headspace was way off and it constantly failed to eject, and the Rockwell hardness of the receiver was so low and below spec it was deemed 'unsafe' by a very well known Galil expert...oh, and Century hung up on me when I called them about it. Buy assembled items from Century at your own peril. If you go Galil stay with IMI (made in Israel) but the price is very high. As for AKs, it's Arsenal guns all the way. They are about a grand but worth it.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I passed on an AMD-65 last year. Still kicking myself over that one.

Galils are not readily available in the US. You have pre 1990's ban models that are actual IWI Galils and go for $2,000 to $3,000. Then you have the Century Arms Golani which has a receiver made in America and the rest of the parts are milsurp but those are not being made anymore either. Cheaper, about $700 to $800 is a fair price, but may be difficult to find. Also, indy36's experience is not unique. Certain versions of the Golani, especially early models, are complete junk and Century Arms does not have good quality control.

Also, I don't know if you can get a "new" Type 56 in the US anymore.

WASR's are cheaper. Good rifles if you subscribe to the battle ready but not accurate philosophy of AK's.

I personally like the overall looks of the Zastava and Mark is a big fan obviously, but they can be hard to find.

Generally stay away from Arsenal unless you don't mind spending $1,000 and up for an AK. They're generally considered good but damn are they pricey. If money is no object though, knock yourself out.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Maybe I have a older WASR 10 but I have not had a problem with mine and I know several out there will agree . Doesnt matter what brand or model every company kicks out a POS every now and then . How do I find out when my WASR was made ? Is there any way to know ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #8

I haven't had a problem with my WASR 10/63 either. I must be luck of the draw.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Maybe I have a older WASR 10 but I have not had a problem with mine and I know several out there will agree . Doesnt matter what brand or model every company kicks out a POS every now and then . How do I find out when my WASR was made ? Is there any way to know ?

It should have a date on the left side of the reciever.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #10

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

For a little more than a 10/63, you can get a VEPR.

Russian made, much stronger build, new, better

barrel, receiver is twice as thick as your average

AKM, and a fair selection of calibers, like .308,

and 7.62X54R...