Questions about the AK-74 and AKM-74
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Questions about the AK-74 and AKM-74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions about the AK-74 and AKM-74

I've been looking for an AK style rifle to use for recreation with my friend and have found an AKM-74 for $330. I've always been interested in the new AK models the Russians have produced. Here are some of my questions about the 74 AK models, mainly in comparison to the AK-47 and Saiga.

1. Reliability equal to AK-47?
2. Ammunition is 5.45x39mm... any more accurate than 7.62x39mm?
3. Ammo availability and price equal to 7.62x39mm?

My main concern is that these rifles are junk because they are so much cheaper than you average AK-47. Here is a link to the specific rifle I am referring to: AKM74 M74 ERTD Rifle, 5.45x39 Caliber, By CAI.

Any info from people who own/have shot one is certainly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

I was curious about the 74's a while back. They are "about" the same accuracy level as the 47's. Maybe a little more accurate. The ammo is fairly plentiful right now, but is uncertain as (I believe) the Russians are the only country fielding the 5.45 ammo right now. The other "Warsaw Pact" countries have either jumped ship to NATO (and adopted the 5.56) or are sticking with the 7.62 round. When the imported ammo starts to dry up (or get banned under Oblama) I do not see any US manufacturers picking it up.

Unless you can afford to buy a few thousand rounds (for me that would mean 5K), then I would pass. Look at a Polish Tantal in 5.56.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #3

I don't know anything about that particular AK build, CAI has a shaky reputation but their WASR's aren't so bad. For $330 you will not be getting an accurate rifle, and probably not a pretty one either, but a basic AK that should go bang when you pull the trigger.

Right now 5.45 is cheap in bulk but the future is uncertain. If you get it, my advice is that you stock up on ammo now... it could become unavailable at any time.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkI View Post
1. Reliability equal to AK-47?
2. Ammunition is 5.45x39mm... any more accurate than 7.62x39mm?
3. Ammo availability and price equal to 7.62x39mm?

My main concern is that these rifles are junk because they are so much cheaper than you average AK-47. Here is a link to the specific rifle I am referring to: AKM74 M74 ERTD Rifle, 5.45x39 Caliber, By CAI.

Any info from people who own/have shot one is certainly appreciated!
I'll start by saying that I've never had a problem with a Century build and with a little TLC, you can have a great rifle at an even better price.

Reliability would be exactly the same as an AK 47. These guns are identical except for the cartridge size and magazine type.

I have found the 5.45 to be more accurate than my 7.62s, in my experience. Based on ballistics it should be quite capable out to 300 yards or so. It has a much flatter trajectory and is quite a bit faster, so I'm sure with a bit of practice you could squeeze a good amount of accuracy outta this gun.

Ammo is dirt cheap and abundant right now, however the manufacturing and supply of the 5.45 is limited to importation/surplus. So as stated above you would want at least a case or two in your permanent supply, then begin to build up your shooting supply. This also goes for mags. Buy as many as possible while they are available and affordable.

I say GO FOR IT!!!

You can't really lose for the price.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The AK series exhibits a pretty fair amount of barrel whip when firing. The smaller bullet "may" lead to less whip and therefore greater accuracy potential.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Very true. Some may refer to it as muzzle climb.

Either way when shooting at a constant rate of fire you'll have to stop and re-acquire your target at some point.

The lesser recoil of the 5.45 may require this less often.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Very true. Some may refer to it as muzzle climb.

Either way when shooting at a constant rate of fire you'll have to stop and re-acquire your target at some point.

The lesser recoil of the 5.45 may require this less often.
Not exactly. The AK's in 7.62 X 39 exhibit a huge vibration that is visible on high speed camera. The barrel actually "whips" in a wave like motion when fired. When you see it, you will say WTF? Partly due to the bullet and partly due to the op rod.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #8

I was curious about what you said Robo so I searched, found, watched and sure enough I said WTF?
How the hell does the bullet go where you want it when the end of the barrel is moving around like that? Damn!

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

HAH! I knew it. You would say WTF!!! When you see it for the first time it is amazing to believe you can actually hit the broad side of a barn with an AK.

The funny thing is all guns do that. Most do it to a MUCH lesser degree. That is barrel harmonics exaggerated to the point you can see it happening.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
I was curious about what you said Robo so I searched, found, watched and sure enough I said WTF?
How the hell does the bullet go where you want it when the end of the barrel is moving around like that? Damn!

http://www.youtube.com/AK47 Barrel Flex
This is why I've always wished it was possible to get a heavier barrel for an AK-47. Since the barrel is so thin it heats up quickly and oscilates more so than thicker barrels for the same caliber. This is one of those things the AR-15 people have a choice in that the AK-45/74 people dont have very easy access to.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.