Question out of curioisty

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question out of curioisty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question out of curioisty

An Ak-47 type weapon is Illegal in the not-so-great state of Connecticut. Is their any loopholes or ways around this. I heard that the Siaga makes a sporty version of the weapon. Just curious, thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 AM   #2

I've heard mixed things about them. It is the AK-47 rifle basically but alot of bad reviews I've heard about it.

I would get an SKS instead. It's the daddy of the AK-47 and most likely should be legal where you live.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
I've heard mixed things about them. It is the AK-47 rifle basically but alot of bad reviews I've heard about it.

I would get an SKS instead. It's the daddy of the AK-47 and most likely should be legal where you live.
A lot of people like their saiga rifles. But I agree, the sks is hard to beat. It is more durable in my opinion, usually cheaper in price, and quicker to reload if you practice with the stripper clips enough. Plus, as mentioned above, it should be legal in your state.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 AM   #4

I live in CT and own a SKS. they are legal but be carefule if you want to alter them. They can turn into an illegal assault rifle real quick. They are best the way they are anyway. I have seen people usually putting stocks on them (tapco t6, etc...). I think iit makes them look cool but changes the balance of the gun making them heavy in front. If you get one and it happens to be covered in cosmoline make sure you clean it real well before fireing. Pay special attention to the bolt and firing pin. Make sure the firing pin is free floating and not gummed up with cosmoline. This can sometimes cause slam fires. When mine was cleaned up and ready to shoot I only loaded two rounds to make sure after the first shot the rifle cycled properly. Also so that "if" it did slam fire I would'nt let off ten rounds in full auto scary!!! Anyway go on youtube and check out a video of sks stripping and cleaning it should help a lot.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I recently read a gun review in Guns and Ammo about the Saiga .223 and .308 rifles.

The reviews pretty much stated that the Saiga rifles are decent weapons for self defense. They are accurate enough to qualify for use as a good, solid patrol rifle. There are a couple variations of stocks for the rifle, and it's up to your own preference on which one will work better for you.

I'm thinking that looking at the design, it seems like the Saiga is a simple, solid design. If you use it for self defense or even hunting, I think you won't go wrong with this weapon.

The SKS would be the cheaper alternative to this if you don't mind the 7.62 x 39mm round.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
...The reviews pretty much stated that the Saiga rifles are decent weapons for self defense...
hmmm... I don't know what kind of place you are defending, but any sort of defense will be in my modest 2-3k square foot house. No rifle will fit the bill for me, other than an M1 Carbine, maybe. I'll take a shotgun or handgun with a lot of rounds in it!!!

Anyway, the problem with an AK-47 in many states is the large capacity removable magazine. The saiga will have the same thing. Go with an sks, which has a 10 round non-removable magazine. It is a great firearm for the price and a ton of fun to shoot.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #7

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I, also, would just get an SKS. They shoot the same round and the SKS is a little more accurate. Plus, if your not planning on getting a Class III license and getting a full-auto AK, then what's the point.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380