Question on Golani magazines and magazine adapters
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question on Golani magazines and magazine adapters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 518 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default Question on Golani magazines and magazine adapters

I recently purchased a Golani Sporter from what I hope is a reliable source (local gun range). Considering how much business I have thrown their way I'm hoping it is one of the good ones but have not had a chance to take it out and fire it yet.

Something I'm looking at for the short term is magazines. The rifle came with 2 steel 35 round magazines. I did some checking and it looks like despite the chambering and the way the magazine releases it is NOT compatible with AK-pattern 5.56mm magazines.

Bummer.

Options are either used milsurps (if you can find 'em), Tapco 30 rounders (which strike me as kind of cheaply made), or buy a magazine adapter.

I like the magazine adapter option, I am wondering what it means by some milling may have to be done to make it work. Apparently the mag adapters were made for the Galil rifles and the Golanis are not exactly the same for milspec. Is it a difficult conversion? I'm not what I wonder consider handy with anything more than a hammer, screwdriver, or wrench so the thought of taking a dremel to a firearm is not something that gets my real excited. I do like the idea of being able to use STANAG magazines like the rest of the civilized world though.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here