Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question about AK legality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
An AZ resident can walk in to a gun store in AZ and walk out with an AK and a box full off 30 round mags as long as you pass the instant background check. You dont even get the background check if you have a carry permit. Same with handguns. Your biggest concern is transporting it to AZ. Sell it up there if it has restrictions and buy a new one down here.
One reason I wouldnt mind moving back to AZ.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
An AZ resident can walk in to a gun store in AZ and walk out with an AK and a box full off 30 round mags as long as you pass the instant background check. You dont even get the background check if you have a carry permit. Same with handguns. Your biggest concern is transporting it to AZ. Sell it up there if it has restrictions and buy a new one down here.
There are no restrictions here.

MI has open carry.

Just not in a vehicle, church, bank, or school.

I can walk down the street of any town with it loaded and strung over my shoulder legally.

No permit required.

The only hoop I had to deal with was the 3 day wait before I could receive it.

I guess it's called a "Cooling off period"

Or the police are just to lazy to do the background check right away.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #13

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX

The only hoop I had to deal with was the 3 day wait before I could receive it.

I guess it's called a "Cooling off period"

Or the police are just to lazy to do the background check right away.

Im guessing your talking about Michigan? There is no waiting period for handgun or long gun purchase. Long gun you just walk in they do a over the phone background check and your done. For a handgun, if you dont have your CPL. You have to get a purchase permit at you local police department, 10 question common sense test and your out in five minutes. Go buy handgun and return a section of the purchase permit back to the police station. Ive done it that way a couple times. Now i have my CPL so i just walk in and buy the handgun and leave.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Im guessing your talking about Michigan? There is no waiting period for handgun or long gun purchase. Long gun you just walk in they do a over the phone background check and your done. For a handgun, if you dont have your CPL. You have to get a purchase permit at you local police department, 10 question common sense test and your out in five minutes. Go buy handgun and return a section of the purchase permit back to the police station. Ive done it that way a couple times. Now i have my CPL so i just walk in and buy the handgun and leave.
And yes there is a waiting period.

However most checks are instant.

By law there is a 3 day waiting period in Michigan (and several other states)

This is often refered to as a "Cool down period."

Where if the FFL does not receive a response it's at the FFL's disgression to release the gun to you.

There are 3 responses one can receive

1. Approved

2. Denied

3. Delayed (means yes you have to wait up to 3 days before you can accquire your purchase)

I had to wait the maximum of 3 days.

For various reasons I can only speculate.

1. My name (which is the most common reason and the more likely reason)

2. Because you are the 10th person. (you win the lottery for waiting on delay for no other reason)

3. Police records where your name is referenced... (No I did not do anything wrong someone else did that I was involved in) based on certain crime types such as Domestic Violence, or any type of PPO or OOP (Personal protection Order, Order of Protection)

4. mental disorder is another one.

There's like 8 different specifics you have to qualify for which I'm sure everyone is aware of.

But in my case it is more likely #1 or #3 why I was put on delay.

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 06-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #15

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Arizona-what you want to do with that AK is

start getting tips on shooting at longer ranges.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Arizona-what you want to do with that AK is

start getting tips on shooting at longer ranges.

Well I suppose I should post a pic of mine.

I have the capability of course.

I wanted to learn from iron sights first, before I start putting the big boy toys on.

As I said before my ex military buddy is teaching me how to handle it. Said he's teaching me how the military teaches you to handle them... and he recommended I start with ironsight first... once I master that... toys are just icing on the cake.... but ironsights is a fall back point when the icing on the cake melts before you can eat it.

And all guns are the same if you know how to shoot from ironsights. There's no real adjustment between gun types then.

Or at least that's what he told me.

But my buddy has multiple expert marskman with several auto rifle types.... AK's being one of them. But he was better with the M240 I guess or so he said.

Last edited by FlukeLSX; 06-21-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The beauty of AK sights is they basically work the same as pistol sights. For short to medium range they are very fast to get in target as long as the rifle is properly zeroed, and on the "battle " position you should be hitting minute of man out to 200-300 with out much correction.