Originally Posted by fupuk
Im guessing your talking about Michigan? There is no waiting period for handgun or long gun purchase. Long gun you just walk in they do a over the phone background check and your done. For a handgun, if you dont have your CPL. You have to get a purchase permit at you local police department, 10 question common sense test and your out in five minutes. Go buy handgun and return a section of the purchase permit back to the police station. Ive done it that way a couple times. Now i have my CPL so i just walk in and buy the handgun and leave.
And yes there is a waiting period.
However most checks are instant.
By law there is a 3 day waiting period in Michigan (and several other states)
This is often refered to as a "Cool down period."
Where if the FFL does not receive a response it's at the FFL's disgression to release the gun to you.
There are 3 responses one can receive
3. Delayed (means yes you have to wait up to 3 days before you can accquire your purchase)
I had to wait the maximum of 3 days.
For various reasons I can only speculate.
1. My name (which is the most common reason and the more likely reason)
2. Because you are the 10th person. (you win the lottery for waiting on delay for no other reason)
3. Police records where your name is referenced... (No I did not do anything wrong someone else did that I was involved in) based on certain crime types such as Domestic Violence, or any type of PPO or OOP (Personal protection Order, Order of Protection)
4. mental disorder is another one.
There's like 8 different specifics you have to qualify for which I'm sure everyone is aware of.
But in my case it is more likely #1 or #3 why I was put on delay.