Question about AK legality
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question about AK legality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Question about AK legality

I purchased my AK where I currently reside in Michigan.

I might be moving to Arizona.

I am wondering if there are any special requirements in order to move and/or transport the gun to Arizona?

Or does Arizona reciprocate MI law?

As in if it's legal in Michigan then I can reside in Arizona without any more special requirements than I had to handle with the state of Michigan?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

It's legal to have a semiauto AK style rifle in AZ. As long as you own it legally in MI there should be no problem bringing it with you to AZ as long as you transport it properly.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

FlukeLSX Likes This 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
It's legal to have a semiauto AK style rifle in AZ. As long as you own it legally in MI there should be no problem bringing it with you to AZ as long as you transport it properly.
Appreciate it

I figured as much just wanted to make sure.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I'm pretty sure that I would spend as little time in Illinois as possible.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I'm pretty sure that I would spend as little time in Illinois as possible.
It's okay in Illinois, too. When going through Illinois, keep the unloaded gun in a case in the trunk of the car. If you have a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk, then the unloaded gun must be in a locked case.

AKs are legal in all counties of Illinois except maybe Cook County which covers the City of Chicago proper and the "collar counties". I know in the county I live in, Dekalb County, it is perfectly legal to own an AK.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX

I am wondering if there are any special requirements in order to move and/or transport the gun to Arizona?

As in if it's legal in Michigan then I can reside in Arizona without any more special requirements than I had to handle with the state of Michigan?

Thanks in advance
I live in the peoples republic of New York and certin AK's are legal here...... So basically for all who want to know. Anywhere that has pre-ban crap! You may have issues or some kind of hoop to jump through. And if you wanna here something even worse is my county I live in it took me 9months to get CCW pistol permit and then it took another 2and1/2 months to get my pistol cupon stamped. So I buy the gun and then I take my proof of purchase to then wait for judge to stamp. And we Monroe county up state New Yorkers have to do this with every pistol purchase. So If I ever loose my job I'm leaving this, flash hider,30rd mags made after94 and collapsable stock, and no bayonet lug HATING all guns state of New York

Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeLSX

Thanks in advance
I'm ranting and had a crappy day... I guess it could be worse and I could live California, but New York still sucks if and only if you're a real man who has testicles and likes guns! New York doesn't like men with testicles who like guns..! they rather we just smile and....?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

AZ is one of the most open states as far as firearm laws.

Hey now, no craptalking CA, that's my home state! I owned plenty of guns.
You would actually be surprised how many people are gunowners in CA, and how much they put in to try to change firearm laws. Sadly, the liberal left is still larger.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCRS
AZ is one of the most open states as far as firearm laws.

Hey now, no craptalking CA, that's my home state! I owned plenty of guns.
You would actually be surprised how many people are gunowners in CA, and how much they put in to try to change firearm laws. Sadly, the liberal left is still larger.
Sorry for dissing our gun hating Gov state but my state is awful for gun owners and I truly feel bad for California people who do have worse, but I've been trained for tight gun rules that us New Yorkers when we feel bad which it is...but the comparison to Cali, allows us justify NY crap laws and say to ourselves it could be worse. So that's how we deal with day to day anti gun over regulated everything and non business friendly NY,

Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

An AZ resident can walk in to a gun store in AZ and walk out with an AK and a box full off 30 round mags as long as you pass the instant background check. You dont even get the background check if you have a carry permit. Same with handguns. Your biggest concern is transporting it to AZ. Sell it up there if it has restrictions and buy a new one down here.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."