Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Question about AK legality (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/question-about-ak-legality-66609/)

FlukeLSX 06-18-2012 01:29 PM

Question about AK legality

I purchased my AK where I currently reside in Michigan.

I might be moving to Arizona.

I am wondering if there are any special requirements in order to move and/or transport the gun to Arizona?

Or does Arizona reciprocate MI law?

As in if it's legal in Michigan then I can reside in Arizona without any more special requirements than I had to handle with the state of Michigan?

Thanks in advance

Quentin 06-18-2012 01:57 PM

It's legal to have a semiauto AK style rifle in AZ. As long as you own it legally in MI there should be no problem bringing it with you to AZ as long as you transport it properly.

FlukeLSX 06-19-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 840170)
It's legal to have a semiauto AK style rifle in AZ. As long as you own it legally in MI there should be no problem bringing it with you to AZ as long as you transport it properly.

Appreciate it

I figured as much just wanted to make sure.

sputnik1988 06-19-2012 07:00 AM

I'm pretty sure that I would spend as little time in Illinois as possible.

winds-of-change 06-19-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 841475)
I'm pretty sure that I would spend as little time in Illinois as possible.

It's okay in Illinois, too. When going through Illinois, keep the unloaded gun in a case in the trunk of the car. If you have a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk, then the unloaded gun must be in a locked case.

AKs are legal in all counties of Illinois except maybe Cook County which covers the City of Chicago proper and the "collar counties". I know in the county I live in, Dekalb County, it is perfectly legal to own an AK.

lilbailnick 06-20-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlukeLSX

I am wondering if there are any special requirements in order to move and/or transport the gun to Arizona?

As in if it's legal in Michigan then I can reside in Arizona without any more special requirements than I had to handle with the state of Michigan?

Thanks in advance

I live in the peoples republic of New York and certin AK's are legal here...... So basically for all who want to know. Anywhere that has pre-ban crap! You may have issues or some kind of hoop to jump through. And if you wanna here something even worse is my county I live in it took me 9months to get CCW pistol permit and then it took another 2and1/2 months to get my pistol cupon stamped. So I buy the gun and then I take my proof of purchase to then wait for judge to stamp. And we Monroe county up state New Yorkers have to do this with every pistol purchase. So If I ever loose my job I'm leaving this, flash hider,30rd mags made after94 and collapsable stock, and no bayonet lug HATING all guns state of New York

lilbailnick 06-20-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlukeLSX

Thanks in advance

I'm ranting and had a crappy day... I guess it could be worse and I could live California, but New York still sucks if and only if you're a real man who has testicles and likes guns! New York doesn't like men with testicles who like guns..! they rather we just smile and....?

SSCRS 06-20-2012 06:40 AM

AZ is one of the most open states as far as firearm laws.

Hey now, no craptalking CA, that's my home state! I owned plenty of guns.
You would actually be surprised how many people are gunowners in CA, and how much they put in to try to change firearm laws. Sadly, the liberal left is still larger.

lilbailnick 06-20-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSCRS
AZ is one of the most open states as far as firearm laws.

Hey now, no craptalking CA, that's my home state! I owned plenty of guns.
You would actually be surprised how many people are gunowners in CA, and how much they put in to try to change firearm laws. Sadly, the liberal left is still larger.

Sorry for dissing our gun hating Gov state but my state is awful for gun owners and I truly feel bad for California people who do have worse, but I've been trained for tight gun rules that us New Yorkers when we feel bad which it is...but the comparison to Cali, allows us justify NY crap laws and say to ourselves it could be worse. So that's how we deal with day to day anti gun over regulated everything and non business friendly NY,

JTJ 06-20-2012 12:52 PM

An AZ resident can walk in to a gun store in AZ and walk out with an AK and a box full off 30 round mags as long as you pass the instant background check. You dont even get the background check if you have a carry permit. Same with handguns. Your biggest concern is transporting it to AZ. Sell it up there if it has restrictions and buy a new one down here.