Question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Well guys. I got the rifle in. Worried though, didn't know Hesse was the manufacturer. But, I think it has after market parts. So, not too worried. But tell me what you think on a first time buy for a assault rifle.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #22

Look'in good! Will the 7.62x39 rd chamber in it? I'm no expert but all my Bakalite mags are 5.45x39 or .223. Is that the proper mag for the rifle?

Let us know how she shoots!

OK, I'll take one of those Cream Sodas, my favorite! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
Look'in good! Will the 7.62x39 rd chamber in it? I'm no expert but all my Bakalite mags are 5.45x39 or .223. Is that the proper mag for the rifle?

Let us know how she shoots!

OK, I'll take one of those Cream Sodas, my favorite! Ken
Lol, Yeah dude it's the 5.45. A 7.62 will not feed through it only gets stuck like in I was shown in the presentation posted earlier in this thread. It's a 74 with a mis-stamped because I talked to the guy and he said that everyone was thrown for a loop, but it was put through tests. I fired it she shoots very clean. I cannot wait to get more ammo! You can always have a soda, want me to ship it via USPS or FedEx?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #24

Nawww, hand deliver it and I'll loan ya some 5.45 ammo!

I think the Hesse brand on it might explain the mis-mark. Their quality control department is run by three guys named Moe, Larry and Curley!

Great to hear you got it figured out and it's a keeper! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 12-15-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Because I'm Old

Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 shots at anything beyond 25 yards with that dust cover mount for optics and you'll know you want to change it. It might look cool but you wont be hitting much of anything with that loose of a fit for a mount for an optic. Get a side mount or a Texas Dog Leg or something. Otherwise, it shouldnt be that bad of a buy for a first assualt rifle.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 AM   #26

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Yeah..I had a dust cover mount on an SKS and that thing moved all over the place. I have not seen one of those things hold steady yet. On that rifle I ended up with a stock change that gave me a rail on the handguard so I put a cheap holo site on it there. There was a guy on another forum some time back that had one of those covers but it was made where you could hand fit it and he said it kept still. I've yet to see one for sale so I"m not willing to say it really exists.

Good looking rifle..I hope it shoots as good as it looks. And keep it away from my wife's grandmother..God knows what she'll try to fit in there

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #27

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

[quote=kenhesr;395395]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Is the diameter of the base of the cases of both types of ammo close enough to one another to even cycle?

Ruzai's reply got me to wondering if it would even chamber? I just hate it when I don't know everything like my wife!

I shoot both 47 & 74 so I thought I'd check it out. Took a few pics while I was at it.

From what I see it should fire, wasn't brave, (stupid) enough to put the bolt in but it looks like it would close. Like M14s says probably not much pressure involved, with the loose fit and small dia. bullet, kinda like shooting a 16ga shell in a 12ga.

Sure bet it would mess up that steel case! As stated have it checked out.

Great! one more thing to worry about. I play RO when the family comes out to shoot. Good post, learned something new today! Ken
Sir I thank you for a most excellent visual in your response. That's what we need in these posts folks, visual aids.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Yeah..I had a dust cover mount on an SKS and that thing moved all over the place. I have not seen one of those things hold steady yet. On that rifle I ended up with a stock change that gave me a rail on the handguard so I put a cheap holo site on it there. There was a guy on another forum some time back that had one of those covers but it was made where you could hand fit it and he said it kept still. I've yet to see one for sale so I"m not willing to say it really exists.

Good looking rifle..I hope it shoots as good as it looks. And keep it away from my wife's grandmother..God knows what she'll try to fit in there
Actually there is a dust cover that supposedly will stay still...but its a new one that was recently made. Its from this guy in Texas, its his second generation of rails for an AK. The whole design sounds kind of funny when you look at it but I'm interested to see if it actually works. Check out the Texas Dog Leg Rail gen 2. The dust cover is held in place by a tab thats made of high strength steel along with a new dust cover release button that clamps the thing down tight.
If the dust cover on the Nihilist88's AK is a UTG they used screws to try and hold it down with no luck what-so ever its merely a scam in my opinion. I've still got the one that I was swindeled into buying at a gun show somewhere in a drawer.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #29

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The 18" wrench is the carbine version. A little easier to swing in close quarters.
LOL like a MFer!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #30

I am sure that I will change the sights out and the collapse able stock. I think it looks too "tacted" out for an AK. I think it looks a little better without. lol, Drum Junkie, I will keep it far away from her. I don't want a 30-06 pushed through it. I am in searches for a AKS styled stock. Those are my favorite when it comes to the 74's.