Question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The only reason I would use a pipe wrench from Harbor Freight is to whack somebody. For plumbing tools buy Rigid.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 AM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The only reason I would use a pipe wrench from Harbor Freight is to whack somebody. For plumbing tools buy Rigid.
Fo sho. Whackage only. But perfect for that.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The 18" wrench is the carbine version. A little easier to swing in close quarters.
Aha. You are correct. He may be hiding.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is the diameter of the base of the cases of both types of ammo close enough to one another to even cycle?

I've heard of Germans using 30-06 though their 8mm mausers in WW2 but I've never come across this particular scenario with any other two different types of ammo working the same pipe.

Its possible that some monkey decided to put a 74 sized barrel on a 47, I know the two rifles have some interchangeable parts after all. Perhaps it was a frankenstien rifle from an insane kit-builder..

If one of my friends were to do that they know I'd introduce their face to the bottom of a shovel.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Ruzai;395275]Is the diameter of the base of the cases of both types of ammo close enough to one another to even cycle?

Ruzai's reply got me to wondering if it would even chamber? I just hate it when I don't know everything like my wife!

I shoot both 47 & 74 so I thought I'd check it out. Took a few pics while I was at it.

From what I see it should fire, wasn't brave, (stupid) enough to put the bolt in but it looks like it would close. Like M14s says probably not much pressure involved, with the loose fit and small dia. bullet, kinda like shooting a 16ga shell in a 12ga.

Sure bet it would mess up that steel case! As stated have it checked out.

Great! one more thing to worry about. I play RO when the family comes out to shoot. Good post, learned something new today! Ken

Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Take the flash supressor off if you can and look at the muzzle. How big is the hole?
Definitely have a gunsmith check it out just in case.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

In a similar vein, was sweeping some brass up at the outdoor range, notice some straight walled long cases i did not recognize, so I picked one up. Apparently, one of our dimwitted members had run some .308 thru a 30-06- nicely blowing the case mouth and shoulder all the way out.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #18

Quote:
In a similar vein, was sweeping some brass up at the outdoor range, notice some straight walled long cases i did not recognize, so I picked one up. Apparently, one of our dimwitted members had run some .308 thru a 30-06- nicely blowing the case mouth and shoulder all the way out.
Haha. Knuckleheads abound.

A friend of mine had a Winchester M70 in .300 WEATHERBY Mag. He insisted it was a .300WinMag, no matter what I said.

So he shot .300WinMag out of it for about a dozen rds. Those empties sure looked funny when he brought them to my house to "check these out". Not quite straight walled, but pretty close.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #19

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
You see?!?!?! THIS is why I started staying home and shooting rather than going to the local outdoor range.I can't count the times someone walked up tome asking if I could figure out why their rifle was not grouping only to find out the wrong caliber ammo was being used.

A scary and funny story though. My wife's grandmother keeps a 410 leaned against a wall next to her sitting place on the couch. THey had had one of their out buildings broke into and she wanted to be ready when they come back. Well..They come back and she didn't have her ammo (or glasses apparently) so she scampers down the hall to her husbands gun rack and reached up (Yeah..She's pretty short) and grabs a hand full of loose shells and slams one in her single shot 410. She flings the back door open, lines up her target, and lets the round fly. She was totally surprised being the recoil blew her against the wall but she says she got the bad guy and calls police. She tells them that she don't think she killed him but he should have some holes in his left butt cheek. Her4 husband hearing what he thought was the loudest 410 round in the world runs to her and grabs the shotgun. When he opened it up he got the surprise of his live. There was a spent 30 06 round in the chamber.
They found the guy at the hospital an hour or so later with a hole in his left butt cheek.
Now I've never tried to fit and 06 round in a 410 before. I really didn't think something like that would ever work. And if anyone else told me that story I'd call BS with a capital B. But that old woman would not lie to save her live. She is about as mean a woman you would ever meet when you get her mad. She's an easy Ky. (Clay co.) woman that was well known here in town for carrying a 38 S&W she called Molly. Her and Molly went to the store. Her and Molly where headed to the garden etc. Even now in her late 70's she's a good a shot and anyone I know.
But that has to be one of the most bizarre stories I have ever heard.

Back to topic...Unless that "47" is some kind of frankenrifle and the receivers caliber stamp is simply not correct something is bad wrong. I'd look it over really good and probably want a gunsmith to check it out before I made it mine. Granny Agnes's old 410 still works though.So it might be fine....

Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #20

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
You see?!?!?! THIS is why I started staying home and shooting rather than going to the local outdoor range.I can't count the times someone walked up tome asking if I could figure out why their rifle was not grouping only to find out the wrong caliber ammo was being used.

A scary and funny story though. My wife's grandmother keeps a 410 leaned against a wall next to her sitting place on the couch. THey had had one of their out buildings broke into and she wanted to be ready when they come back. Well..They come back and she didn't have her ammo (or glasses apparently) so she scampers down the hall to her husbands gun rack and reached up (Yeah..She's pretty short) and grabs a hand full of loose shells and slams one in her single shot 410. She flings the back door open, lines up her target, and lets the round fly. She was totally surprised being the recoil blew her against the wall but she says she got the bad guy and calls police. She tells them that she don't think she killed him but he should have some holes in his left butt cheek. Her4 husband hearing what he thought was the loudest 410 round in the world runs to her and grabs the shotgun. When he opened it up he got the surprise of his live. There was a spent 30 06 round in the chamber.
They found the guy at the hospital an hour or so later with a hole in his left butt cheek.
Now I've never tried to fit and 06 round in a 410 before. I really didn't think something like that would ever work. And if anyone else told me that story I'd call BS with a capital B. But that old woman would not lie to save her live. She is about as mean a woman you would ever meet when you get her mad. She's an easy Ky. (Clay co.) woman that was well known here in town for carrying a 38 S&W she called Molly. Her and Molly went to the store. Her and Molly where headed to the garden etc. Even now in her late 70's she's a good a shot and anyone I know.
But that has to be one of the most bizarre stories I have ever heard.

Back to topic...Unless that "47" is some kind of frankenrifle and the receivers caliber stamp is simply not correct something is bad wrong. I'd look it over really good and probably want a gunsmith to check it out before I made it mine. Granny Agnes's old 410 still works though.So it might be fine....
Lol, Clay county is where my family and I are from. My parents are stilldown there I am up in Covington. But as Kenhesr has done a BRILLIANT presentation. I think I will just end up checking it out. I really think I will disassemble it and check the firing pin and everything. Thanks for the help guys. I will hopefully have pics of it soon, next time I go see my parents I will have some. I may just get them to e-mail me some.