Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Question

Hey all, I am about to buy an AK-47 through a friend of the family. My question is: On the side of the firearm it says 7.62x39, but the only ammo that has shot through it is 5.45x39. I am curious, do you think this would of hurt any of the action group or warped the barrel or anything? Thanks.

Last edited by Nihilist88; 11-30-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9199 Times on 3969 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

WTH??? That the rifle even functions with the wrong ammo is amazing. Has to be about as accurate as throwing a rock. WHY in the name of the Wide World of Sports is he shooting the wrong ammo?

Has it damaged the rifle? I can't tell- you are not holding it close enough to the computer for me to tell. It is not GOOD for the rifle to do that. It may be untouched, but I would get a smith to check it over before I monied up.

Also, go by the hardware store, buy an 18 inch crescent wrench. If you friend does that again, whack him behind the right ear with the wrench.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'll see your WTH, and raise you an F! Wouldn't someone think, when loading the mag. something didn't look right? Can you even put an AK.74 mag. in an AK.47?

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #4

I thought the same thing about it. It was all weird. Like the mag went in nice everything seemed smooth. I am thinking that was the first time it had been fired. Next time I go to see the rifle I will disassemble it and look at all of the vital parts. I tried to educate him on it but he said that is what came with it when he had bought it. Also, what I am thinking is that maybe it is an AK 47 mag just holding the 5.45. But then again the 5.45 are so small compared to the 7.62.
I am just like at a loss of understanding. I will post new info on this as it comes.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is the mag. metal, or dose it look like orange,reddish bakalite?

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Also, go by the hardware store, buy an 18 inch crescent wrench. If you friend does that again, whack him behind the right ear with the wrench.
22" would be better. Harbor freight.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist88 View Post
I thought the same thing about it. It was all weird. Like the mag went in nice everything seemed smooth. I am thinking that was the first time it had been fired. Next time I go to see the rifle I will disassemble it and look at all of the vital parts. I tried to educate him on it but he said that is what came with it when he had bought it. Also, what I am thinking is that maybe it is an AK 47 mag just holding the 5.45. But then again the 5.45 are so small compared to the 7.62.
I am just like at a loss of understanding. I will post new info on this as it comes.
5.45x39 will fit in a 47 mag.

The odds of the 5.45 doing damage are slim. No enough pressure contained. But have it checked over by a gunsmith.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #8

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You sure it isn't an AK-74?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You sure it isn't an AK-74?
It says on the side "Cal 7.62x39". I will do a double check here soon enough. The body is in the shape of 74, things such as the muzzle break and everything but on the side has the 47's caliber. Also to answer a previous question it was the brown wood mags. Thanks for all of the help so far.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9199 Times on 3969 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

The 18" wrench is the carbine version. A little easier to swing in close quarters.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.