Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > PSL accurizing project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Default PSL accurizing project.

So... Where to begin.

I've started my Romanian PSL accurizing project.

There are many things I know I could do, but right now, I'm keeping it cheap!

Lets see what I can do. Currently, she is all over a pizza box at 100 yards. I know these rifles can be finicky, but lets see...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Easiest thing load your own ammo. Mine is moa to sub moa with handloads

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Mosin Likes This 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

So I've read that the muzzle brake hinders accuracy on this rifle. This is sad to me because the muzzle brake look really drove me to get this rifle. It reminded me of something off of Star Wars... But I'm going for accuracy.

The muzzle brake is pressed on, and pinned. some are actually screwed on.
First I had to drive the pin out, which was very difficult. I bent one punch, then snapped another punch off, inside the brake. Soak in pb blaster for a few hours and it popped right out!
Lesson 1, I hate Commies.
Lesson 2, I love the invented of PB blaster.

Not wanting to deal with more headache, I decided to soak the brake in PB Blaster for 2 days.

I had my roommate slide a walking stick through the thumb hole stock, and wedge it between the door, so I could wail on the brake with a hammer and punch, to drive it off. No luck...
He suggested I use a wrench, even though it wasn't threaded.... This worked, and the brake unscrewed from the barrel. However, it was not easy, and the force applied was enough to get the brake hot enough to burn my hand!

If I was going to remove a brake like this again, I would use a torch and heat the brake, then press it off. However I didn't have a torch on me, so elbow grease and foul language it was.

image-2691446340.jpg   image-136366229.jpg  

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Easiest thing load your own ammo. Mine is moa to sub moa with handloads
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply! I know you're right, but I can't leave good enough alone! :-D
image-356665695.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

So.... What to do about the trigger...

SUPER MEGA YOU'RE GONNA PUT YOUR EYE OUT DISCLAIMER!!!! DONT DO THIS AT HOME EVEN IF YOU'RE AS DUMB AS ME!!!!

Now that's out of the way, the trigger was nasty, gritty, and checked in at 8 lbs... Ugh.

So I polished the hammer, where it mates up with the trigger hook. 2,000 grit sand paper, and elbow grease. Now it's got a mirror shine. I heated it up a little and soaked it in Frog Lube because why not? Sound good.

image-1981642918.jpg   image-296264228.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

Next I polished the trigger hook, same as before, now instead of two rough, burred metal surfaces fighting each other on the trigger pull, it's 2 mirror smooth surfaces, gliding across each other.

Then, I miked out the actual trigger hook, to see where it sat on the hammer... I realized that I could file off a bit of metal, for less contact area when I pull the trigger.

I scribed the hook, to where I wanted it, then filed it down with a small hand file. And polished, and polished, and polished.

I could have removed another mm of the hook had I wanted to, but I don't want to be unsafe.

Speaking of unsafe, I did this trigger job because I ONLY use this rifle at the range (my back yard) and observe all range safety rules, including unloading the rifle before heading down range to check my targets. Should this trigger display any unsafe operating characteristics, I have no problem pitching it and getting a new tapco or Red Star trigger. I wanted to see what I could do.

image-3336215432.jpg   image-3296953301.jpg   image-3042233264.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Rev town the barrel, thread it and put a better brake on it. You can shoot it for accuracy without the brake on if you want, but if you get the brake on true it shouldn't effect accuracy.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

The keys to a good trigger job that gives a nice crisp and predictable break is to keep the mating and release points square. That rounded edge will be slick but not crisp.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback! I know it looks really rounded, trust me, I thought the same, but it sits at an odd angle when in the rifle, and the trigger is crisp. Not like my savage, 30-06... But I did go from 8lbs to this!

image-3294502417.jpg  

Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Cocked the hammer, pressed on it, the second latch catches it. Slammed it on the ground, mortared the rifle... Stays cocked, doesn't fire.
Seems safe. Still observe all range safety rules!!!