Proposed SKS trade opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Proposed SKS trade opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Proposed SKS trade opinions

I have a guy that wants to trade me his Norinco SKS with 3 stocks (wood, tupperware and tupperware with folding stock) 5 mags of various capacity and 500 rounds of steel case ammo.

I would be trading my FNH FNX9 with 5 mags. I just picked up a new SA XDM9 5.25" to replace the FNX for USPSA competition.

I have never owned an SKS but shot one years ago. This would be a range toy more than anything or might be further traded. Is this a fair trade?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #2

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Figure out what you really want out of an SKS. If you keep the original wood stock and original mag, then the rest if the accessories are just stuff that you need to get rid of. You may find the synthetic stocks don't fit well, and some if the various mags don't feed reliably, or fit real well. So youse just be getting a Norinco SKS and a pile if junk to go with it.

SKSs are good guns, and fun to shoot, but a package like that isn't always a great deal. If you are somewhere that you can see it and try it out in the different stocks, and with the different mags to see if everything works, then it may be ok.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 with what Doc said. I use my my SKS as my hunting rifle. It is in stock form for the most part. Bubba got to it before I got it. Bubba ground off the bayo lug and the front sling mount.

With the short range shots that I can take here. The SKS is a great deer/hog rifle.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I have a folder for my Norinco and a absolutely hate it, the balance is horrible and the length of pull is way too long (much more than my MN, Garand, R700, ect.)

I like the wood stock though.

I agree, sounds like a good rifle with a bunch of junk with it. As much as it hurts sometimes, accessories only ease the sale they don't add to the value.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So if I discount the extra two stocks to $0 it is really the rifle, mags and 500 rounds of steel case ammo. The ammo is easy as that is about $175 retail. What are the gun and mags worth? There is a Tasco scope and rings with it but I've already discounted those to $0. The scope is not one I would buy anyway.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
So if I discount the extra two stocks to $0 it is really the rifle, mags and 500 rounds of steel case ammo. The ammo is easy as that is about $175 retail. What are the gun and mags worth? There is a Tasco scope and rings with it but I've already discounted those to $0. The scope is not one I would buy anyway.
Depends on condition and the market in your area. In my neck of the woods, Rough ones sell for $250-300 for the rifle. Nice minty specimens can get $500-600 when the market is going nuts.

The mags, cna again depend on the mag, the manufacturer, etc. Some of the afte market mags don't fitwith the original stock installed. Some have feeding issues. The best way to have an SKS is pretty much all original. New Tapco mags would be worth about $20-25 per mag. Used, maybe less. Then not knowing if they will work...

Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1956 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 999

If you don't own a good AR or a good Ruger Mini, then yes. If you do, the chicom SKS won't be any better, and will likely get traded away. This may sound harsh, but it's how I talk to myself when the impulse hits me again.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Deal fell through. Guy had some family issues with the tornadoes in IL. The more I researched the deal the less I really wanted the gun.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 556

You made a good decision. I have two SKS rifles I kept when they retailed for $50. They are good plinkers and home defenders. I would sell the pistol for cash.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #10

I have a Yugo 74' SKS. I paid $250.00 for it about 1.5 yrs ago. just after the "gun freaks" started speaking of banning some guns. It came with the original wood stock and bayonet. I took off the wood and put a Tapco stock on it. It was not that easy. A few pins on the gun have never been taken out and were damned near seized on. But I really like the gun with the Tapco. Much easier to hold and shoot. Plus you can use a bipod, red dot and the Tapco and promags work GREAT. It's not an AR and is pretty heavy. But it will take down anything here in Carolina and is also damn accurate. Though, if I had an AR, I would probably shoot the AR more often. Also, keep your hand gun. It's a nice one.