Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Project poor man (SKS build). (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/project-poor-man-sks-build-68472/)

sputnik1988 07-18-2012 10:03 PM

Project poor man (SKS build).

5 Attachment(s)
Several months back I was out in my dads shed looking for truck parts when I caught a front sight post sticking out of a box, it was a barreled SKS receiver, I brought it in the house, where he said that I could have it, so I went to work.

First step was to bead blast it to check for any issues, with that done I decided to lay down some krylon to prevent rust until I had decided on a final finish.

A few weeks later I happened upon a pile of parts at my LGS, nearly everything I needed, including a folding stock for a $100 bill. I then bought a Tapco 20 round mag for 922r compliance, an original unissued sling and a bottle of Super blue.

My plan is to blast it one more time and give it a nice deep bluing. The only part that I'm missing is the gas tube, with any luck I'll find one as cheaply as everything else.:) So far, I'm $141 dollars in. :D

Below are pics of it and the parts I've bought. I'll keep this updated and post more pics after the bluing.

Nihilist88 07-19-2012 10:42 PM

I want to watch your progression. I am currently re-buliding my AK-74. I can't wait to get her back up.

sputnik1988 07-19-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilist88 (Post 875241)
I want to watch your progression. I am currently re-buliding my AK-74. I can't wait to get her back up.

Cool, what all are you doing to it?

sputnik1988 07-19-2012 11:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished the bluing last night and got it all back together. Turned out pretty well, especially for what I started with. I need to pick up a gas tube and have it headspaced and it will be finished.

Sorry for the poor lighting.

Nihilist88 07-20-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 875245)
Cool, what all are you doing to it?

Mainly replacing it with a Bulgarian trigger assembly and all of that. I thought about the Tapco G-series trigger, but I thought, " I can just pick up a parts kit and get everything". I will wait to see since there is a gun show up in Cincinnati, Oh, I am hoping someone has a deal there on them before I go to Atlantic Firearms and get it.

Josh1158 07-20-2012 10:10 PM

You might have some luck at the show. I've seen gas tubes with a rail on it for 30-40 bucks. Not sure about the pistion though. Check millsurpstuff.com they have lots a parts and there located in ohio so you should get the parts quickly

sputnik1988 07-20-2012 10:34 PM

My LGS just offered me a Tapco gas tube, T6 stock, front sight and 2 railed handguards for $114. Or he said the gas tube with a handguard and front sight for $54.

sputnik1988 07-26-2012 04:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Picked up a Tapco gas tube with a railed handgaurd and got her running, shoots great. I threw a RDS on it temporarily as I haven't installed a front sight yet.

Total investment: $194.:D

Plan to swap out the folder for a Tapco T6 stock and add a bayonet. Will update with a range report asap.:cool:

Cattledog 07-26-2012 07:04 AM

Nice job on the build! Good call on the open sights. Personally, I like the folder on an sks but for what you've put into it... go nuts:)

therewolf 07-26-2012 03:44 PM

If you don't feel you are going to use iron sights, stick with

the Red Dot. A front sight might be a waste of time and money.