Problem with Yugo SKS cycling

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Problem with Yugo SKS cycling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Problem with Yugo SKS cycling

I'm stumped by a Yugo SKS, it has either developed a gas leak or otherwise malfunctioned causing it to have to be manually cycled in order to feed the next round. The bolt doesn't move at all when the round in the chamber is fired.

It is supposed to be set up to fire rifle grenades too if that helps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Sounds like you got it set for single fire mode, there is a knob that holds down your ladder sight for the grenade launcher. It must be cocked to the left to enable semi-auto mode. With the knob pointing vertical it funnels all the gas to propel the rifle grenade.

You've basically just got the semi-auto function of your rifle turned off

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 11-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll look to see if the knob's pointing up.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Also, when you remove the gas chamber, run a pipe cleaner down the

gas-inlet hole at the top front of the barrel. Possibly some oil, grease,

or gunk could have blocked the hole, and oops! No cycle.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the gas selector button is in the correct position and the gas valve and gas port holes are lined up properly the fit between your gas valve and gas tube may be leaking enough to cause cycling issues. A quick way to check that is the SKS gas tube paper clip fix Yugo Gas System Fix If that fixes the problem you probably need a new gas valve,here are a couple options.

SKS Owners

Also make sure the gas tube and piston are clean,the recoil spring assembly is installed correctly. Some of the Russian brands of ammo can at times be slightly underpowered compared to the Yugoslavian X39 ammo the Yugo rifle had fired in them and with the looser tolerances in there gas system you can on occasion get some cycling issues. I had similar issues using some Wolf ammo several years ago when I shoot steel case ammo but the rifle cycled fine with any other brand of ammo steel or brass cased. I installed a new valve and the rest of the Wolf shot fine from that point on.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I had the same issue today with mine. It wouldn't cycle and had to be done manually. When I got it home, I tore it down and cleaned the crap out of it. The gas tube was REALLY dirty, even though I'd cleaned it (well I thought) well after I got it.

Anyway the gas tube piston wouldn't hardly move at all. After I took it out and cleaned the piston and tube, it really moves back and forth VERY easy. I was also told to check the piston to see if it was pitted up. Mine was too bad.

So now I need to go pick up some more ammo and give this puppy another try. I'm hoping that this took care of it. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

i don't know how your sks came i got a yugo and when i got it was covered in gun grease to preserve it. I had to just about let the parts soak in hobbes cleaning oil. first day i thought i cleaned it good enough and had the same problem went back gave it a really good cleaning and it has never failed me favorite rifle.