Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > probably a stupid question....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts

Default probably a stupid question....

Do saigas have the same reliability in dirt and grime as a regular AK? Is it a regular AK. Basically I stripped mine down after shooting about 200 rounds through it and my gas piston is completely black with soot and crud. I could clean it but I'm wanting to make sure it'll run either way.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If I'm not completely mistaken, Izhmash, the factory that makes Saigas also makes the AKs issued to the Russian troops. Of course there are some differences between the full-auto AKs and semi-auto Saigas (mainly the trigger assembly and selector), but the basic components should be the same so they should also be equally reliable.

If you're shooting surplus ammo, the gun will definetely get dirty fast but it will still keep on running. It is advisable to clean the gun every time you've shot corrosive surplus ammo, but I've sometimes left my Saiga sitting dirty in the safe for couple of weeks before cleaning it. The barrel and chamber are chrome lined and I haven't seen any rust on them. The threads of the muzzle brake can get a bit sticky but are easily cleaned. Once had a little rust on the bolt face but it cleaned out nicely with a little CLP and a bronze brush.

Just run more ammo through the gun, it'll be fine

Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Rifle or shotgun?

No offense and none taken

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Back in 03 or 04 I traded a Russian SKS for a Krebs AK 47. It is built on a Saiga receiver and has been very reliable. I field strip and clean all of my weapons after a range session. The AK47 was designed and built to run dirty. Don't worry just enjoy it. Here's a pic of my Krebs. Regards Dick

Ignorance is the most expensive commodity that you can own

AleksiR Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry about the last pic...not an AK..my bad. Need to learn to take my time. Dick

Ignorance is the most expensive commodity that you can own

Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #6

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Rifle or shotgun?
Rifle. 5.45x39 which is still cheap but getting hard to find.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 View Post
Do saigas have the same reliability in dirt and grime as a regular AK? Is it a regular AK. Basically I stripped mine down after shooting about 200 rounds through it and my gas piston is completely black with soot and crud. I could clean it but I'm wanting to make sure it'll run either way.
Saiga's are AK's. Just in a different configuration than the "classic" AK. Might be some parts differences but the parts are pretty well universal between Saiga and AK's in general. Saiga is just a build type for an AK. Most Saigas are recognized as a rifle more than a semo-auto rifle (even though they have the semi-auto functionality). And yes they usually come in smaller Caliburs... but I believe they do have 7.62 variants.