Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   probably a stupid question.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/probably-stupid-question-89069/)

okieboy 04-18-2013 01:13 PM

probably a stupid question....

Do saigas have the same reliability in dirt and grime as a regular AK? Is it a regular AK. Basically I stripped mine down after shooting about 200 rounds through it and my gas piston is completely black with soot and crud. I could clean it but I'm wanting to make sure it'll run either way.

AleksiR 04-18-2013 08:55 PM

If I'm not completely mistaken, Izhmash, the factory that makes Saigas also makes the AKs issued to the Russian troops. Of course there are some differences between the full-auto AKs and semi-auto Saigas (mainly the trigger assembly and selector), but the basic components should be the same so they should also be equally reliable.

If you're shooting surplus ammo, the gun will definetely get dirty fast but it will still keep on running. It is advisable to clean the gun every time you've shot corrosive surplus ammo, but I've sometimes left my Saiga sitting dirty in the safe for couple of weeks before cleaning it. The barrel and chamber are chrome lined and I haven't seen any rust on them. The threads of the muzzle brake can get a bit sticky but are easily cleaned. Once had a little rust on the bolt face but it cleaned out nicely with a little CLP and a bronze brush.

Just run more ammo through the gun, it'll be fine :D

MisterMcCool 04-18-2013 09:04 PM

Rifle or shotgun?

blitzen25cat 04-18-2013 11:33 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Back in 03 or 04 I traded a Russian SKS for a Krebs AK 47. It is built on a Saiga receiver and has been very reliable. I field strip and clean all of my weapons after a range session. The AK47 was designed and built to run dirty. Don't worry just enjoy it. Here's a pic of my Krebs. Regards Dick

blitzen25cat 04-18-2013 11:45 PM

Sorry about the last pic...not an AK..my bad. Need to learn to take my time. Dick

okieboy 04-19-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1218410)
Rifle or shotgun?

Rifle. 5.45x39 which is still cheap but getting hard to find.

FlukeLSX 05-05-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 (Post 1217980)
Do saigas have the same reliability in dirt and grime as a regular AK? Is it a regular AK. Basically I stripped mine down after shooting about 200 rounds through it and my gas piston is completely black with soot and crud. I could clean it but I'm wanting to make sure it'll run either way.

Saiga's are AK's. Just in a different configuration than the "classic" AK. Might be some parts differences but the parts are pretty well universal between Saiga and AK's in general. Saiga is just a build type for an AK. Most Saigas are recognized as a rifle more than a semo-auto rifle (even though they have the semi-auto functionality). And yes they usually come in smaller Caliburs... but I believe they do have 7.62 variants.