"Pre-Ban" AKM-47S
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > "Pre-Ban" AKM-47S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default "Pre-Ban" AKM-47S

I've been given the opportunity to buy a Norinco AKS-47M imported in 1984. The owner says it's "pre-ban" but I'm not sure what that even means. Can it be transferred to a new owner? I'm not well educated in these kinds of transactions and do not want to do anything illegal.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

firelt,

All the pre-ban stands for it was imported prior to 1994 When the Stupid Bradey Bill went into effect and lasted until 2004. By the way it accomplishes ZERO! Since only 1% of the crimes committed during that 10 year period were committed with rifles. Anyway the weapon is perfectly legal to purchase and own. But I would not wait long with the goofballs we have in office trying to ban the sale of all what the term Assault Rifles ! Which are not Assault Rifles I might add they are semi auto rifles. Assault Rifles are full auto. Anyway if you can purchase it for a reasonable price, it functions and is in good position you are good to go! ******* However if the "Riverside" on your avatar section is Riverside in the state of Commiefornia you need to check with one of the other guys here on the forum or call a local gun dealer! I live in Tennessee and know what the position on such a weapon is in the majority of the other states. California is another ball game! There are certain restriction there on ARs like mag buttons, and other similar weapons like the AKs. that could violate their crazy laws.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, sadly it is in Ca. If I do buy it it has to go through a local FFL/Gunsmith for some minor molestation to install a "bullet button". *Sigh*, sometimes I can't wait to leave this place.......

Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2939 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 261

ALL Norinco AK's and SKS's are "pre-ban" as that term applies to Federal law. Kali is its own world.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks guys- I passed on this one. Too many things didn't add up.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 508

The model of AK you wanted to purchase is specifically banned for sale or importation into California. Transfers in-state are a convoluted proposition at best. I've never seen the NORINCO "AKS-47M" designator for a carbine made by NORINCO, but I have seen the "AKM-47S" designator. That specific make/model was banned. If the carbine was not registered to you during the grace period before the initial ban was in place, then I would not attempt to buy it. California intends to prevent transfers or the heirs of possessors of the banned weapons from inheriting them. The stated goal is disarmament, plain and simple. They're intent on achieving that goal there, to what end I do not know.

If you want to own such a weapon, my advice would be to leave the state and find a new home. That said, please keep all the liberals locked in their utopia out there. We don't need their pea-brained ideas here in Texas. They've been coming here in droves because they don't want to pay their taxes, but they then try to re-create utopia here.

Last edited by kbd512; 03-16-2013 at 05:09 AM.