Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > practical scope for a vepr ak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Default practical scope for a vepr ak

I just got a vepr 7.62x39 and im impressed. This is by far the most beautiful ak ibe ever seen. Im looking for optics to put on it. What do yall think is the most practical. It will be a plinker and the optic will be added to a side mount that goes over the reciever. I own a aimpoint and an eotech but im not sure those are the way to go on this one

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #2

Im gunna bump this

Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I just got a vepr 7.62x39 and im impressed. This is by far the most beautiful ak ibe ever seen. Im looking for optics to put on it. What do yall think is the most practical. It will be a plinker and the optic will be added to a side mount that goes over the reciever. I own a aimpoint and an eotech but im not sure those are the way to go on this one
I have an FED 1.5x4.5 Ukrainian scope from www.kalinkaoptics.com
They have a number of mounts and scopes to choose from. This scope is extremely clear and was perfect for my purposes and has been dead on when shooting. They sell Russian covers for it as well. I love the way it looks as well.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-26-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post

I have an FED 1.5x4.5 Ukrainian scope from www.kalinkaoptics.com
They have a number of mounts and scopes to choose from. This scope is extremely clear and was perfect for my purposes and has been dead on when shooting. They sell Russian covers for it as well. I love the way it looks as well.
Yea nice. I also want an authentic russian mount

Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
DrG

My answer would depend on what you are getting it for. If all you want to do is plink then a magnified scope would be fine, if the purpose of the rifle is fighting, then I would suggest a red dot hands down. A magnified scope has no place on a fighting rifle! A target or precision rifle, yes, on a fighting rifle, no. Most rifle engagements take place within 100, yds. At that distance, a magnified scope would put you at a distinct disadvantage.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrG View Post
My answer would depend on what you are getting it for. If all you want to do is plink then a magnified scope would be fine, if the purpose of the rifle is fighting, then I would suggest a red dot hands down. A magnified scope has no place on a fighting rifle! A target or precision rifle, yes, on a fighting rifle, no. Most rifle engagements take place within 100, yds. At that distance, a magnified scope would put you at a distinct disadvantage.
I have my ar set up with a red dot and mag. Think ill go scope on this one. Which has more velocity at greater distances 5.56 or 7.62x39

Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #7

Quote:
A low power scope is not a disadvantage in combat. A 1.5 power is on a number of weapons like the Steyr Aug and they're very popular combat rifles. With an added magnification it's really an advantage. I do like the red dot though.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
DrG

Ultimate_sig...7.62x39 hands down. 5.56 is dependent on velocity, out to 150 yds it is fine. After 200 yds it doesn't have the velocity to fragment which is what gives it its wounding effect. You can hit out to 400 yds and beyond, but at 400 yds it has the same energy as a .22 long rifle! 7.62x39 is good out to 300 yds. 7.62x39 is a bigger, heaver bullet that has greater power, range and penetration than 5.56.

Gunsmoke11...I agree a low power scope is not a disadvantage in combat, but still not as fast as a red dot. Magnified scopes tend to be eye relief critical, which makes them slower to pick up and respond. I have learned to be leery of things based on popularity, and tend to lean toward that which would give me the better advantage in combat.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Ultimate_sig...7.62x39 hands down. 5.56 is dependent on velocity, out to 150 yds it is fine. After 200 yds it doesn't have the velocity to fragment which is what gives it its wounding effect. You can hit out to 400 yds and beyond, but at 400 yds it has the same energy as a .22 long rifle! 7.62x39 is good out to 300 yds. 7.62x39 is a bigger, heaver bullet that has greater power, range and penetration than 5.56.

Gunsmoke11...I agree a low power scope is not a disadvantage in combat, but still not as fast as a red dot. Magnified scopes tend to be eye relief critical, which makes them slower to pick up and respond. I have learned to be leery of things based on popularity, and tend to lean toward that which would give me the better advantage in combat.
What is a good kind or brand of scope can you zoom from low to high

Last edited by Ultimate_sig; 01-27-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
What is a good kind or brand of scope can you zoom from low to high
DrG, popularity is something that doesn't enter into it. I form my opinions from my experience and the experience of others. I like and used the red dot many times over the years and honestly I couldn't tell the difference in how long it took to acquire a target. We all have to use what we think is best and learn from our mistakes.

Ultimate_sig, with these types of weapons I prefer the lower power variable compact scopes. I'm particularly fond of the 1.5x4.5. With those settings the scope would be fine for up close and personal, as well as 2-300+ yards if you're a decent shot. I generally buy high end scopes, but price can fool people into spending more than necessary. My $160 FED Ukrainian scope is as clear as my Leupold and people think it is a Leupold 'till they see it up close and read the name. I've been using a Simmons scope with the same magnification off and on for over 25 years with no complaints. It's larger, but still a very good scope for the price of under $100, which was the cost back then. Shop around and ask questions and I'm sure you'll find something nice.