Is this possible?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Is this possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Is this possible?

K so I just ordered the conversion kit from carolina shooters supply and will be installing it on my saiga 7.62x39 next week... However I would really like to add a muzzle brake to the gun too. This is where the problem comes in. First off the barrel is the same size all the way to the tip.( from vids I've seen the first 3/4 inch is smaller diameter) is this possible to even put a brake on it?

Also I live in the big bad state of NY and if I don't pin/weld the brake into place that it becomes one of those oh so deadly and evil assault weapons..
I figure I I give the gun to a machine shop they could probably get it all done but what would that cost me? Any reasonable price u guys think it would be? Thanks guys

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Bump..........

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I would also like to know the answer to this question

Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I wouldnt let a machine shop do it. Welding generates a LOT of heat in a small area and if not done right can damage a gun barrel.

Consult with a gunsmith in your area on what minimum is acceptable to your slave masters. Some slave states allow their slaves to use solder or a light tack weld.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I wouldnt let a machine shop do it. Welding generates a LOT of heat in a small area and if not done right can damage a gun barrel.

Consult with a gunsmith in your area on what minimum is acceptable to your slave masters. Some slave states allow their slaves to use solder or a light tack weld.
Jon, For years I brought Evil Weapons to NY for shoots, private ones. I even use to bring my 9mm to dispatch hogs at butchering time. Save my Sister $19.00 fee for each times 8 hogs. There are no local police or sheriffs. The State police drove down a highway 6 miles away at 7:30am and 4:30pm. that was it. There are more fun guns upstate then you would ever imagine!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I must say good choice in rifle, from what I have seen you can't add a muzzle brake because the one already on it is part of the barrel. But I'm not 100 percent sure.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #7

There isn't one on the gun.... It's just a straight barrel... Ik it won't count towards 922r compliance but I already have that covered with other mods

Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Look up Saiga rifle muzzle brakes, I saw a few listed.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Ok so asked a local shop who is also a gunsmith and he said I would be arrested in seconds if I put a muzzle break on the gun... He said since it didn't come pinned from the manufacture then you can't thread it yourself...

Still don't see how he is right on this... If you thread pin and weld it on the when you do try to take it off u will destroy the threads.. And there's nothing in nys law that says it needs to be from the maker of the gun and not done by yourself.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Can the brake be cut or drilled into the barrel? I have seen a lot of guns with built in brakes. I am sure glad I live in a free state.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."