possibility of hunting with an AK
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

possibility of hunting with an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default possibility of hunting with an AK

Im getting invited to go hunting for deer possibly. The only option I have for a long gun is an AK as I cant justify buying a rifle If I don't like hunting.

So the AK is my dads that he got about 15 or 20 years ago. Has a thumb hole stock, long barrel, and a scope.

So here are some questions

Can I use an AK for hunting deer and or what other animals can I use it to hunt

Can I buy better rounds for it to hunt with.

What kind of accuracy should a rifle in this configuration have.

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6784 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Sure its an ak and not a psl??

Doest it look like this??

possibility of hunting with an AK - AK & SKS Discussion
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 AM   #3

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2032 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 6085

While Jon may be more accurate, I'll include most any AK variant, derivative as an AK.

What matters is what your State Regulations allow or require.
Usually you will find something to the effect of .xx caliber or larger, with a case, yyy or longer.

You can answer that question by reviewing your regulations.
Also keep an eye open for any in-field magazine capacity limitations. Some states may limit you to a mag block for 3 or 5 rounds.
If you are shooting non-game you may have a different set of regulation. e.g. Deer might require more than a .223, coyote or hog may not.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #4

Liked 2481 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 567

In the '90s many AK clones had thumbhole stocks. KG7IL has it right as far as checking your local hunting regulations for caliber and capacity restrictions.

If it is indeed an AK clone and chambered in 7.62x39mm, then it would fall into a power range that is a little lower than a .30-30. So, most game that you could hunt with a .30-30 is in the capabilities of an AK. Folks in the South East, hunt deer, hogs and coyotes with rifles chambered in the 7.62x39 round. But down there the deer are small and the ranges are usually short. Accuracy of AKs can vary pretty widely, so you would have to try the gun you are considering, with a few different brands of ammo and see if it gives the level of accuracy that you would need for whatever you intend to hunt. A rule of thumb is to keep all of your rounds on a pie plate at increasing ranges. Once you can no longer keep your hits on the plate, you have exceeded the required accuracy for hunting deer sized game with that rifle and ammo combination.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Thanks guys. The above picture is what it looks like be maybe not quite that fancy. I know in nebraska we have a 5 round limit which my dad has several 5 round mags so im covered on that. I will check the other regs too.

Could you guys give me the names of some companies that make 7.62 rounds. Also do they have different bullet weights and loads.

Last edited by endobro; 03-27-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 427 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by endobro View Post
Thanks guys. The above picture is what it looks like be maybe not quite that fancy. I know in nebraska we have a 5 round limit which my dad has several 5 round mags so im covered on that. I will check the other regs too.

Could you guys give me the names of some companies that make 7.62 rounds. Also do they have different bullet weights and loads.
Any soft point bullet (preferably made in USA) I think they all way around 123 grains.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
better dead than red

Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #7

Liked 2481 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 567

The rifle pictured above isn't exactly an AK, it is a Romanian variant know as a PSL. It is chambered in 7.62x54R, which is closer in power to a .308 Winchester or a .30-06. It was an upsized rifle to take the larger cartridges, and had a receiver mounted side rail for optics, because its purpose was to be used as a sharpshooter's rifle, or designated marksman rifle, where extended reach and precision may be required. So, first off you will need to be absolutely sure of what rifle you have, so that you can get the right ammo.

There were Chinese AK variants that were imported in the 80s and 90s that had long barrels and thumbhole stocks. The NHM-90 was one of those variants and was basically a squad gun version of the AK that still was chambered for the 7.62x39 round and took standard or extended AK 47 magazines. To my recollection they did not have any receiver side rails for mounting optics like the PSL did.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Well let's assume for a minute it's an AK - 7.62 x 39mm. This can be checked easy enough - should be stamped somewhere on receiver

Good hunting round? Yes a soft tipped variant but it will have it's limitations. I'd be limiting myself to 100 yards or less as most AK's don't provide hunting-type accuracy. How good a shot are you? Can you group 3 shots in an area the size of a 6" pie plate from 100? That would be my deciding factor for any long gun including a shotgun with slugs. That, and what the typical cold-shot accuracy is....

Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

It is definitely the 7.62 round

Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have had my share of experience with an SKS. I was less than pleased with the performance of the 7.62x39. Energy wise there is not a lot of difference between a 7.62x39 and a 5.56x45. both are pretty anemic as a hunting cartridge. The 7.62x39 lacks the velocity to create enough hydrostatic shock to reliably put a deer down. I don't know how many deer I have shot through the shoulder blades multiple times that ran off. If I had made the same shot with any popular hunting a cartridge the deer would have been running on it's chin with a single shot.

If you choose to hunt with a 7.62x39 I would limit my shots to the head and neck unless you all have tracking dogs to find the deer. The 7.62x39 leaves no blood trail for you to follow, even with soft point bullets.